Thread: Pepper mill kits

Blog Entries

Pepper mill kits

Ok, I remember a discussion a while back on mill kits and I'll be darned if I can find it. At anyrate, there was a superior kit or component that wasn't from the usual suspects... any ideas?

Thanks,

Brent

I know we talked about Peugeot mills awhile back. I'd called them a couple years ago and they refused to divulge their supplier.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I am trying to remember whether the ceramic or stainless steel kits were better.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am trying to remember whether the ceramic or stainless steel kits were better.
    Probably depends on whose reply you remember.

I buy mine at Packard, simply because they are 'made in America'.The ceramic ones are for salt, the stainless ones are for pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    I buy mine at Packard, simply because they are 'made in America'.The ceramic ones are for salt, the stainless ones are for pepper.
    I have a creamic one for pepper too...just the way it ended up inventory wise. Would stainless work ok for salt?

Not really. The ceramic will work for pepper OK. The stainless will technically "work" for salt OK, but the salt will corrode the stainless and render it useless, and it will make you look bad offering a product that does not hold up. Stick with ceramic for salt.

I prefer ceramic CrushGrind. Works on pepper, salt and assorted spices. Allows for standardized machining process. No need to make decision on mill use (salt vs pepper vs spices) during machining. Check it out at http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...mill+mechanism. With ceramic CrushGrind mill works buyer has option to use for salt, pepper or assorted spices. Improves sales. - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    I prefer ceramic CrushGrind. Works on pepper, salt and assorted spices. Allows for standardized machining process. No need to make decision on mill use (salt vs pepper vs spices) during machining. Check it out at http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...mill+mechanism. With ceramic CrushGrind mill works buyer has option to use for salt, pepper or assorted spices. Improves sales. - John
    Just finished a set with these...I really liked them and the customer did to! There are some applications where I like the chrome knob on top, but overall, I'll be using more of the crushgrind's.

I only use Crush Grind. While they are more expensive, they give you a lot of flexibility with regard to use and you don't need to worry too much about the height as you trim the stem at the end.

I prefer the Artisan kits from Craft Supplies, they produce more pepper with less turning of the knob. They also have artisan salt kits which are ceramic.

Check out this EBay auction for Pepper Mill kit, 8 or 10 inch, ceramic. Its a very good price at $8.00 and $9.00 including shipping. Auction # 330942157472

I was under the impression that the stainless steel was used for pepper, and the ceramic was used for salt. I know that the steel grinders can be adjusted for how coarse the pepper is ground, do you have the same control with the salt grinder when grinding pepper? On a side note, I made a nice pair of grinders for a co-worker. His son over tightened the salt grinder and the ceramic pieces broke. I sent Chief Specialties an email asking how much to replace the pieces, and they simply sent me replacements free of charge. They are a great company.
    Ronald Fox

Webmaster - Willamette Valley Woodturners (Salem, OR)
    www.willamettevalleywoodturners.com
    Webmaster -Oregon Woodturning Symposium (Salem, OR)
    www.oregonwoodturningsymposium.com