Thread: July 4 engagement bowl

July 4 engagement bowl

Instead of going to a recreational area and fighting with the crowds and traffic, I stayed home and turned a bowl. The lump came off the end of a huge slab of walnut I bought in April (to use for a coffee table). this was part of the scrap to square up the slab. The wood had been air drying for at least 5 years, so it was dry and stable. Coincidentally, at the exact same time I was turning the bowl, my niece was in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her boyfriend. He proposed to her during the time I was turning the bowl, so this bowl will be dated July 4 and will be a wedding present to the happy couple. I will include a big bag of Hershey "KISSES" with the gift!

Dimensions: 7 5/8" x 1 5/8". Finished to 2000 grit. The finish is LIN-SPEED brand gun stock finish that is hand rubbed into the wood. I will be putting on a few more coats, but there are two coats on it right now.

I especially like the rich chocolate color of the piece being air dried (vs. kiln dried).

july4walnutbowlx.jpg

Beautiful bowl David! Love the rich color! I am sure the happy couple will cherish the gift! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

lovely gift..the wood is beautiful
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe