Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 95-year old invents and patents safer screwdriver.

Agree with David. But I don't think there is anything more attractive about slotted screws .I think it is one of those "conditioning " things and the reluctance to date our work as modern.

Blog Entries
    I must be one of those rare dawgs. For most of my work slotted screws are preferred. As David says, properly clocked so any tampering is easy to detect, even though my work is far from the finest.

My preference is also for brass.

Maybe my work practices are on the safe side. It is difficult for me to imagine being injured while turning a screw. My fingers are usually withdrawn from the fastener/driver interface once the fastener is started.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

95 and he still has his wits, hearing, eyesight, and a wife of 70 years. He must be doing something right!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Clocked on the finest work.
    Also best to do with electrical outlet/switch covers.
    Gives the job a finished look.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Also best to do with electrical outlet/switch covers.
    Gives the job a finished look.
    your outlet covers use one screw , the switch cover use two screws, WHY NOT MAKE SPECIAL SCREWS FOR THOSE ITEMS ? [big head screws ]

Patent? There are probably a couple of plants in China gearing up as we speak.

If one likes slotted screws due to looks this guy's invention probably wouldn't look all that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If one likes slotted screws due to looks this guy's invention probably wouldn't look all that great.
    I'd draw that conclusion, too.

I use Robertson (green,red,black) the square drive ones, for every project I can.. I have far too many scars from stupid flat blade drivers.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I use Robertson (green,red,black) the square drive ones, for every project I can.. I have far too many scars from stupid flat blade drivers.
    I use a battery-power drill to remove or drive what few screws that I find a need to spin unless the hole that hold the screw call for a long driver, the clutch prevent the damage that go hand-in-hand with your old screw drivers

Who uses slotted screws for general construction? This weird, interlocking thing doesn't self-center and it's far uglier than any other drive I'm familiar with. I just can't imagine a team of construction workers taking out one screw at a time, and daintily aligning all the little slots for every, stinking screw they drive. Anyhow, the problem has already been solved MULTIPLE times...Posidriv, Torx, and Robertson, all of which are readily available and self-center.

Cute old guy...I hope I'm that sharp if I live to see 95. The screw drive, however, is just not very impressive IMHO.