Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Club

Craftsman Club

For those who don't look down on Craftsman tools, I learned some disapointing news yesterday. The Sears sale flyer came to the house and it carried with it the announcement for Craftsman Club Days -- you know, if you are a member, you geta ten percent discount on all Craftsman tool purchases during "club days."

Well with the K-Mart buyout/merger whatever, the Crafstman Club Days' rules have changed. They tell me that the 10 percent is only good for the items listed in the sales flyer -- NOT everthing in the store as before.

Well that sucks, I was looking to buy some clamps but since they were not in the sales flyer, no discount, no purchase.

I e-mailed Customer Service and complained and pointed out that Home Depot's 10% off coupon had no restrictions. Maybe if enough of us complain, they'll change.

My local Sears told me the new policy has been in effect for 3 months now. For items over $20 I tell them I don't want the item and they use their discretion to take 10% off. Kind of a game of chicken at the register, but I agree on small things you're stuck. I didn't tie it to the Sear -K-Mart merger, but if true, it is an ominous sign for the future. Guess I'll be spending more time (and money) at the borgs.

Tom

The sales folks at the local Sears in Lake City act like the discounts come directly out of their paychecks, I have had very little to no success getting the discounts many of you have talked about. Craftsman club or not, it's like pulling teeth, I have walked out without purchasing many times. I have brought copies of some of your gloats to the manager, he simply states that they are against Sears policy, no we can't do that, that they are happening in other geographic Sears districts, but 'WE are no allowed to do that in our district'. I've had better luck at other out of town Sears stores, but not like many of you talk about.
    Tony

I shopped in Sears for the first time in quite a while the other day & purchased 4 standard screw drivers in the size I use the most for $2 apiece. As a rule I don't shop at Sears. The last time I used my Craftsman club card was when I purchased the Contractors table-saw with a bogus arbor.

Now that I have changed over to other merchants to acquire my tools & started purchasing things like my older Delta cabinet-saw I smile a lot more when I'm in the shop. I still have some Craftsman tools in my shop & will use them until they wear out. Then I'll have to decide which brand of tool to replace them with.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I have been a Craftsman Club member for quite a few years.It was a pretty good thing to get the 10% off now and then.Lets face it Sears stuff aint that cheap.Without the discount I will buy somewhere else.Where I live the Sears store is the only place within a few miles that sells tools.I will probably continue buying wrenches,sockets,etc.at Sears because they have quality hand tools at a reasonable price,but for woodworking tools I will drive the 100 plus miles to Hartville Tool.

This is bad news! I work for a sears company and was not aware of this. I too have purchased many tools during the 10% off days.

I feel this will be back, but we will see.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Craftsman Club

As of the March CC days, only the items show in the CC booklet are available for a discount, and only for the amount shown in the book. This restructuring of policy was done before the merger. However, if you shop at Sears.com, or buy thru the catalog, all items that formally recieved the 10 percent discount will continue to receive the discount. Have your CC number at the time of either purchase. Also, save your receipt from any Sears purchase, as you will need it for any exchanges or warranty service.
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

hmmm....

I just bought some stuff on line during the saver days, and I got the ten percent off. I think. I better check it out. Thanks for the post!
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Yup...

I just checked, and I got my discount. All 10 % of it. Maybe the discount will continue on line. Only one of the items that I bought was from the flyer.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Problem with that is you have to pay a hefty shipping charge. There goes your 10%savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hall
    Also, save your receipt from any Sears purchase, as you will need it for any exchanges or warranty service.
    I hope they aren't going to require this for the warranty on the lifetime hand tools. Might as well buy them at Wal-Mart if that's going to be the case. Who's going to have the reciepts for all their old hand tools?

I gave up on Sears a while ago for anything but hand tools--too many disappointments and too many proprietary accessories. Seems like the newest tools are better, but they are going to ruin any chance at success with high prices and increasingly anit-customer service.

With very, VERY few exceptions, I hate buying anything from Sears, including their hand tools. They are NOT real high quality and only have the "advantage" of getting replacements through their "lifetime warranty". But, in the final analysis, I use certain hand tools to accomplish a certain job. If that hand tool fails in the course of that job, the "lifetime warranty" is of little consequence while the job at hand lays spread out over my assembly table! Given the fact that their hand tools are on the expensive side (The Craftsman branded ones)to begin with, I'd more appreciate a tool which served me better during the course of the job, rather than one which forces me back to the place of sale to replace it. A fellow SMC buddy and I were just discussing this exact same thing a few days ago and agreed we're better off paying even a little more for something minimizing our trips back to the vendor to get replacements.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

3 weeks ago i bought a dewalt 744 planer from sears. I used the 10% off as well as a price match from lowes. They had no problems giving me the discount.

I think Sears is shooting themselves in the foot. For many years, they were the only game in town for the DIY. Open weekends, lower cost(and quality) than professional tools, etc. Now we have HD, Lowes, and many regionals.

They now carry very few of the consumables, ie sander belts, sanding tubes, saw blades, etc. . These are to bought on line paying both shipping and sales tax. They have discontined their service depts. No hardware anymore. Locally, the tool depts have high school kids for sales. Notice more and more branded tools and less Craftsman including hand tools.

I was told by a friend that sells paints and wall coverings for Sears that they will be fazing out the Sears Weatherbeater line and go, made in the USA, to the supplier of Martha Stewart paints.

Sears tools as we knew it will be a thing of the past. It is becoming more like a Walmart or Kmart. Perhaps that is their long range plan and not attempt to compete with the borgs and online sales.

I may be wrong, but I think that AceHardware offers a lifetime warrenty on their hand tools.