Thread: painting small project?

painting small project?

I made this shoe rack for my mother and would like some advice on painting it, I will be using a brush but painting the sides between the shelves would force me to paint horizontally rather than vertically like I would be painting if the shelves were not there, second painting the shelves themselves may pose a problem in the inside areas. Any help would greatly be appreciated on how to go about this. Thanks: )
    20130628_184928.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Stadler; 06-29-2013 at 1:56 PM. Reason: posting a pic

Perhaps buy a few cans of spray paint (and primer) and apply multiple light coats. Hopefully this rack does not have a back or that the back is removable.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I was trying to stay away from having to buy more paint but if that is the way to get the best finish then possibly I will move in that direction, I would think though that it might be hard to spray inbetween the shelves without getting runs. Not sure though.

Perhaps I'm missing something but is there a reason why you can't turn it on its side and paint the sides? Also do the bottom of the shelves even need a coat of paint? Are they visible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    I was trying to stay away from having to buy more paint but if that is the way to get the best finish then possibly I will move in that direction, I would think though that it might be hard to spray inbetween the shelves without getting runs. Not sure though.
    I have sprayed assemblies similar to that with my HVLP sprayer and gotten very good results. I would think that using rattle cans would work the same way. I don't see how you are going to be able to brush out the paint properly with such a tight spacing. I know that hindsight is 20/20 but I would probably have painted the inaccessible surfaces before assembly.

Rattle cans are an expensive way to buy paint.

I'd go to Menards and get yourself one of these:
    http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...70-c-12915.htm

It is the same touch-up gun sold on Amazon having terrific reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Force-A-C...s=touch+up+gun

(If you have time, order from Amazon and save money).

Of course, you will need a compressor to run the gun. A little pancake compressor will drive it pretty nicely. I actually use a compressor smaller than a pancake, and it works great.

I obviously agree w/ those that are telling you to spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Rattle cans are an expensive way to buy paint.

I'd go to Menards and get yourself one of these:
    http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...70-c-12915.htm

It is the same touch-up gun sold on Amazon having terrific reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Force-A-C...s=touch+up+gun

(If you have time, order from Amazon and save money).

Of course, you will need a compressor to run the gun. A little pancake compressor will drive it pretty nicely. I actually use a compressor smaller than a pancake, and it works great.

I obviously agree w/ those that are telling you to spray.
    OK guys, sounds like spraying would have been the best option. I did however go ahead and paint it with a brush, it took some time but I got it done. As for the finish, well, we will see after a couple coats what it looks like, but obviously not going to look as good as a sprayed on finish.
    I think I will invest in one of those sprayers your talking about though and I've also been wanting to get a small compressor for my lathe projects. So maybe by next project I'll have those to work with, Thanks again for all the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.