Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the New Jessem hold downs on the router table..

Using the New Jessem hold downs on the router table..

To start, I do not work for or know anyone at Jessem.

I have been waiting for feedback on the use of the new hold downs, there were a lot of guys that ordered them. But I have not seen any feed back. I was on vacation at the beach all week when mine came in so today I just had to go out and give them a try.

I have a Jessem router table with the Jessem fence on it and installing the hold downs is a snap. Slide them on and tighten them down where you want them, it is that easy. Like all of Jessem's stuff they are make like a battleship all parts are machined and look outstanding.

For testing I used some 3/4 inch poplar that was 27" long and bowed in the center.

Installed the hold downs placed one end of the board under the the in feed and pushed it down and locked it. Then did the same to the out feed hold down. The pressure needed is not near what it looked like the video, it just does not take that much. I used my finger to tighten the locking screws and that work just fine, I thing maybe if you were setting up to do a lot you may want to use the wrench.

I cut a rabbet, 1/4" x 3/8" with the bow up and then did the same with the bow down, in both cases the rabbet was the same all the way down the board. Even with the bow the hold downs pressed it down on the table. I just used one finger to push the wood though the bit and it held it against the fence with no problem.

The hold downs are much easier to use and faster then feather boards, I have the Jessem feather boards which are easy to install and use but the new hold downs are faster and easier. With the feather boards when you have the pressure set there is a lot of drag and if there is a bow in the wood they some times will not push it against the table because they flex, the new hold downs don't flex.

The wrench is fine and will work but I have a Bondhus ball-headed screwdriver handle that is really nice for the job. Again I don't think you will need it that much but when you do the ball-head is really nice.

P6285105.jpg P6285106.jpg P6285107.jpg

Good to hear Bill. I have mine waiting at home but won't be there until Monday to try them out.

Thanks for posting the review Bill. Do you think they would work on an Incra LS router table fence?

Thanks Richard

Also Bill if I may ask how much was shipping ?
    Last edited by richard poitras; 06-28-2013 at 8:29 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Thanks for posting the review Bill. Do you think they would work on an Incra LS router table fence?

Thanks Richard

Go take a look at some of these post, they talk about the Incra fence.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...new-tool/page2

For me the total was 106.05, the hold downs were 99.95 and shipping was 6.10.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post

Thanks Richard

Yes, maximium board height 1 1/8-1 1/4"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill and Lee thanks for the information. Very helpfull.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Bill,

This just isn't fair. I ordered mine first, and you already have pictures of yours in action.

Wait a minute while I get the front door.................Ahhh, never mind. They're here. Gotta go.

Rick Potter

Bill,

Thanks for the review. Just got word that mine have been shipped. I will be trying them out on an incra router fence and a very super cool tools table saw fence.

~mark

Nice! Looks like I would have to cut a dado in my woodpeckers fence in order to get another t rail in it at the right height. The current t rail is at about 4" which is about 1" too high...

Mine arrived today. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I am awaiting delivery of my set. Quick Question: Although they are marketed for router table use, is there any reason I can't use them on my table saw, which has an extruded aluminum fence with slots to accept the Tee nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    I am awaiting delivery of my set. Quick Question: Although they are marketed for router table use, is there any reason I can't use them on my table saw, which has an extruded aluminum fence with slots to accept the Tee nuts?
    Is your tablesaw fence fixed to the table top on both end? If yes, I don't see problem why not to use it.

Ed/

I am "on the fence" with these.

For years, I have worked with plastic feather boards held to the fence or table with clamps or machine screws and nuts. That hold down set up has never failed me. I can see how the Jessum unit would work well and be very useful, much like the Board Buddies for my Uni-saw.

Guess I really need to see a set and "coon finger" them before making a yeah or nay decision.

Yes, on using them on a tablesaw with a extruded aluminum fence. I sometimes lock the fence down with a magnetic switch but usually I dont bother.

jessem.jpg

I have had them for a while and like them. They work great.

George