Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your shop rules?

Shop Rules:

I really don't need any as the purpose of me having a shop is so I can be alone and have some peace and quiet

Seriously though, I don't have any written rules but I do have some unwritten rules.

I don't ask anyone to borrow their tools, and I appreciate the fact that no one asks to borrow mine. If the use of a tool is offered that's a different story.

I work ALONE and I like it like that. I don't work well with someone looking over my shoulder. The only exception to this is the LOML

If someone wants to use the shop and I trust them, I will allow it but I will be watching them as I have invested a lot of hard work and money to make the shop a place that is enjoyable and productive. If they can't handle me telling them not to do something a certain way with my shop equipment then they shouldn't ask to use it.

and the #1 unwritten rule....

"If you stop by to visit, bring the coffee with you!"

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

No rules "hanging" in my shop...I work alone. But when I do have visitors and tools are to be used, safety glasses are passed out and required. Quite obviously, I'll need to insitute some more formal rules once the boys join the family, but initially it will be "off limits" due to age I suspect.

I generally don't lend tools, so there are no rules needed. I can think of only about four people I'd lend to anyway and would have no worries about it...Dr. SWMBO included.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-22-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No posted rules but safety glasses are worn (prescription for me). Ear protection will be worn if machinery is running. Don't bother me if I'm running machinery and (this to my wife) KEEP MY SON UNDER CONSTANT OBSERVATION INSIDE WHEN I'M RUNNING MACHINERY! He is 20 mos old and loves to walk out into the shop and since the door is behind me when I'm at the tablesaw he scares the tar out of me (I'd use stronger words but rules are rules ) I have one neighbor who is also a woodworker I would loan tools too since I occasionally need to borrow one also.

There is only one sign in my wookshop and it was given to me by a friend. It says: "THIS IS A WORK-FREE SMOKE PLACE". As you can tell I am one of the minorities. However - I do not drink alcohol or do drugs if that counts for anything.

Like Phil said!

and if you have a beverage in your hand...keep it there. Don't EVER put it down, especially on a machine!!!!!!

I've restored many macines and there is usually a telltale spot or two where some idiot placed a cold soda or beer can on top of the cast iron. These circular rust spots are real hard to remove and many times leave a black ring forever.

peace

No rules posted.

However, my personal rule is no alcohol in the shop. I have some neighbors that REALLY like to drink, so it is just best to say it's not allowed ever
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I don't like anyone to smoke or chew (snuff) in my shop.....the great outdoors is just a few feet out the front door, they can do it there. I also don't like muddy shoes/boots coming in and dropping mud on my floor. I have several employees (I'm a building contractor/residential) and the shop is a nice place to meet in the morning for coffee and talk about the work ahead. They know the rules and obey them. I have a refrigerator with cold beer and pop in it but it (beer) is never allowed until after work and then only a couple on Fridays.
    As far as tools go...I never loan them, but a couple of the guys will make projects after hours using my tools but I'm always somewhere close. And if they do use them they are always to be put back where they got them.
    I don't have these rules posted anywhere in sight....I think I have just made it clear to anyone spending any amount of time in my shop.

Only thing I've got hanging around are signs

that say NO SMOKING!!!!!!!! Flammables may be in use.

and another one that says. Thanks for not asking to borrow my tools, it saves me the embarassment of having to say no!!!!!!!

You'd be surprised what people around here will try to borrow. Had one guy not too long ago wanted to borrow my tractor. I'd rather loan out my truck.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I only have three basic rules for my shop

1. This is a shop, not the two car garage that you thought it was when we bought the house. That means no cars or storage for things in the house. (I finally got the Christmas tree out this year)

2. Safety glasses and a knowledge of how to use the machines are a must if you are going to use my tools. Since many of my tools are commercial quality, I don't worry about someone wearing them out, but I won't let you learn on them for that very reason.

3. Never never never try to get my attention when a machine is under power. My wife had to learn this lesson the hard way when she snuck up behind me when I was using the table saw on a narrow piece I was splitting. Now she waits patiently until the machine is off before talking to me.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Talking Shop Rules.

I have only a few rules that will be posted as soon as the sign is painted.

1. Just because the door is open, DO NOT asume you are welcome. You are not.

2. Do not try to get my attention while I am working with shop tools.

3. To save embarrasement, do not ask to borrow my tools. However, I will sell you mine at my price.

4. Never start a conversation with "this will take just a couple of minutes".

5. If there is anything you don't understand about the above rules, GO AWAY.

I have more, but they have been covered in previous posts.
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

Silas Smith, I tried your rule number one on my wife and she ask me to ask you how long you have been divorced. Don't blame me for the question, it's her fault. Allen

Talking rules

Do not talk to me when i am using power tools.I will see you soon enought.I let a few people borrow tools but not many people.I will cut boards for people Kids mostly. They ask a lot sometimes.I don't let kids in shop they stay outside of door. Notposted tho.Mike

Shops not done yet. But when it is people can eat whatever, drink whatever, and smoke whatever (as long as it is grown and not manufactured synthetically) they want as long as it is outside. Tools are not loaned. So don't ask. No job is so small that it is free. Even favors will, at times, require reciprocity. If it itches, scratch it. Remember to flush. Eat your peas. Wear clean underware if at all possible. Wash behind the ears. And finally "say goodnight Juan ...er John."
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 05-23-2005 at 3:37 AM.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

1A) NEVER drop what you're doing and do something for a freind or relative - it'll just encourage them. ALWAYS have some reason why you've got to get something else done before you can get to their little problem. I've got entirely too many freinds & relatives that had an annoying habit of dropping by un-announced with a piece or two of wood and needed "just a couple of cuts/holes/routed edges", etc.etc. Since I've implemented that little rule, I get a lot more calls a week or so ahead of time and can plan this junk out around whatever else I've got going on.

1B) If you insist on showing me how to do it, then go get your own tools and do it yourself.

1C) I'll do the work, but the broom and dustpan are hanging on the wall, and the shopvac is over there... That's my fee.

Rules 1A - 1C are what I call the freind/relative rules. B & C I tell them about. A is my little secret. It just encourages them to call ahead, otherwise they always find me "busy".

2) Don't even ask to use my power tools unless you're a very good looking woman and promise to work in the nude (safety glasses ARE allowed however). So far - no takers, so I guess this rule is working.

3) Don't say the "F" word in my shop (free) - see rule 1C. That's the minimum charge.

4) Don't say the "B" word in my shop (borrow).

5) Don't try to get my attention while I'm operating power tools.

6) My dog is welcome in my shop. My cat is welcome in my shop. Your dog is welcome in my shop. My Dog+Your Dog or My Cat+Your Dog are NOT welcome in my shop. Too much oppurtunity for horse play distracting me while using sharp thingies.
    Use the fence Luke

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I do not have rules as such. I do have a small sign that says "If you value your life as much as I value what's in this shop, you won't mess with it"
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.