Thread: batten for work holding

batten for work holding

Interesting approach to workholding for your viewing and listening pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNrof...layer_embedded

This is from the blog "The English Woodworker", but is the YouTube version to avoid posting inappropriate links.

Paul

Hey that's really cool. I've used battans before as stops, but never with a notch like that. Seems much better with that notch. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

This is a really good idea. I made one in the shop in a few minutes.
    Then I tested it in use on a piece of 2 X 6 pine. Worked great. Held the heavy work piece with no slippage. Easy to remove, check and mark for plane cuts.

Highly recommended ! Thanks so much.

Blog Entries
    Great idea, thanks for sharing.

My first thought was the video would show the use of a "lever arm" batten. I have done that when the work doesn't line up with dog holes close enough to use a holdfast. Just raise a piece of scrap at one end, rest it on the work on the other and drive a holdfast in the middle of the scrap to hold everything in place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice. Wouldn't have thought of that. Wouldn't be surprised if the method showed up on an old plate from roubo or someone else, though, either.

Great information! Thanks for sharing.
    Duc in altum!

Now what can I spend that $375 on that was going to go to Benchcrafted... Very slick idea.