Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving silicone rubber I-phone covers and color filling with powder coat paint?

Engraving silicone rubber I-phone covers and color filling with powder coat paint?

I have an opportunity to engrave a large quantity of I-Pad cases that need a permanent mark that is going to be a logo. Trouble is, they want the mark to be one color (orange). I have done some of the silicone rubber like the case is wrapped with and it actually does work nicely. Question is, would it be possible to fill the engraving with powder coat paint and re-laser to get the color? Anybody ever done this before? I know some of you have done the powder coat thing, but how about with the rubber? Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions etc.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Just because of the slippery nature of silicone, you may have trouble getting anything to stick. Harbor Freight powder paint is cheap enough that you may just want to give it a try. Laser it slow speed and low power - my 30 watt machine I use 20% power and 70% speed - any more power and it obliterates it, any more speed and it doesn't fully melt. You'll probably have to cut the power even more for your 40 watt machine, maybe 12-15% power.

I hate lasering silicon, it needs loads of cleaning after and we have to use a little toothbrush and soapy water to make them look good, never tried painting, good knows how you get it to stick to silicon.
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Thanks for the info so far. Wondering how it would work with just a mask and regular paint fill. This is for a school, they are supplying them to protect the I-pads they are farming out to the students. They want them marked, as they will retain ownership so they don't want a mark that would come off. The colored logo throws a wrench in the works but hopefully there is a way.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I would try lasering at 70% gray or less to try to give the engraving some texture. That might give the paint a little something to grab on to. Getting something to stick and not scrape off is going to be a challenge.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

6. I would skip the laser all together and dye sublimate IPad cases. Just my 2 cents.

Mark Maslonkowski

Whoa..since when can you sublimate to silicone cases? It would be very difficult to press also. (I think) Keeping in mind I am working to a specific specified product and it is black in color. Tell me what you know, as far as I know you would have to put some kind of coated insert in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maslonkowski View Post
    I would skip the laser all together and dye sublimate IPad cases. Just my 2 cents.

Mark Maslonkowski
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 06-19-2013 at 9:49 PM.

8. You are 100% correct if you are set on 100% silicone cases Dy Sublimation would not work but I have worked with several very nice Dye Sub cases that worked out very well. Sorry if i offended you.

Mark Maslonkowski

Oh no, no offence taken at all. I was hoping you were right and knew something I didn't know about sublimation. It would be dandy if it would work but I don't see a way with the particular product. Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maslonkowski View Post
    You are 100% correct if you are set on 100% silicone cases Dy Sublimation would not work but I have worked with several very nice Dye Sub cases that worked out very well. Sorry if i offended you.

Mark Maslonkowski

Blog Entries
    Larry,

I did a Nexus 10 a few days back... those have a rubber-like coating on the back for grip. I used the plastic-specific paint for fill. A small strip peeled off when I removed the mask, but I think that was due to me being too impatient and taking the mask off too soon. Give it a few hours to cure more and you should be golden. After 24 hours, that stuff was NOT coming off that Nexus.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Larry

Do you think heat pressed vinyl like is used for t-shirts might work?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Larry, I think the process you'd want to use is to have them silk screened. They make inks specifically for silk screening rubber. I think you'd get along better down that route (and less expensive). You could easily have multicolor done and the cost wouldn't be too expensive, in my opinion.

I've had some 4 color items done on different substrates and the cost was VERY low, in my opinion.

Might be worth looking into and finding someone nearby that can do that for you. It won't be down into the surface, but it'll be stuck probably better than anything you can do with spray paint.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If you can find a silicon based paint you should be ok, silicon likes sticking to silicon, but nothing else does Maybe colour some RTV to your preferential colour.

Mike,
    I doubt you can heat press this thing due to the shape of it and all. However, it came to me that it might be possible to do it with a plate puck. I have one of those that has never done a plate..LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Larry

Do you think heat pressed vinyl like is used for t-shirts might work?

Scott,
    I would tend to agree to a point, but I am still of the mind that an engraved mark will be there forever, regardless of the color part. This is going to be a competitive bid situation for my customer that would actually be supplying the product, so I doubt there is room in this for yet another party. I'm not a screener, I am an engraver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Larry, I think the process you'd want to use is to have them silk screened. They make inks specifically for silk screening rubber. I think you'd get along better down that route (and less expensive). You could easily have multicolor done and the cost wouldn't be too expensive, in my opinion.

I've had some 4 color items done on different substrates and the cost was VERY low, in my opinion.

Might be worth looking into and finding someone nearby that can do that for you. It won't be down into the surface, but it'll be stuck probably better than anything you can do with spray paint.