Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wanted to chew on my new PM-V11 chisels

I'll jump in say that I also would really like to see LV (or anyone) bring some goo long, thin, non-cranked, traditional parers back to the market -- except for the octagon handles (I hate octagon handles). PMV11 would be nice, but I don't even care if it has that. I would be plenty happy with O1 or A2 as long as it is respectably hard. The stuff on the market now is way too soft for whatever reason. LV could do so much better.

Has anybody actually used those Narex paring chisels. It's the first time I have seen one. How are they in the hardness department?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    I'll jump in say that I also would really like to see LV (or anyone) bring some goo long, thin, non-cranked, traditional parers back to the market
    Well Lee Valley do actually sell such a beast. It's not Veritas of course but still a parer. Not sure on the metal though.

Sorby Boxwood-Handled Paring Chisels

85s0301g1.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Personally, I'd wait to see what paring chisels LV is coming out with before buying sorby chisels. The feedback on them is far too inconsistent and seems to tend toward the negative.

Those Sorby ones are the worst. I have one. They look good, but they are riduclously soft. If you want new ones today, they best I have seen are the Taylors. (I haven't used the Blue Spruce offering.) Vintage is an option if you can find what you are looking for amongst the junk. Those Narex ones might have potential, but are probably pretty heavy (thick).