Thread: Flag case dimensions

Flag case dimensions

I need to build a Flag case for a friend who’s retiring from the service. Unfortunately I’m really short on time and don’t have a flag on hand to measure. The flag is a standard 3 X 5 ceremonial flag. Does anyone know the dimensions of a folded flag this size?

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin
    I need to build a Flag case for a friend who’s retiring from the service. Unfortunately I’m really short on time and don’t have a flag on hand to measure. The flag is a standard 3 X 5 ceremonial flag. Does anyone know the dimensions of a folded flag this size?
    It gets folded in fourths lengthwise and then in triangles up the length. So the basic fold is a triangle 9x9x12.75 plus maybe an inch bigger all around due to the fabric thickness. Total thickness in the 2.5-3" range. You want to be sure? Cut up a sheet to that size and fold it. Use whatever you end up with as the inside dimensions: I guarantee the guys that do it at the ceremony will get it enough tighter to make up any difference in the material thickness.

(I know the dimensions for the case I built for my dad's funeral flag, but that was a *lot* bigger flag: it's sized to cover a coffin...maybe 5x8 feet.)

I made a great many flag boxes over the years, and I always wanted the flag in my hands before I built the box. They may be the 'same' size', but the skill of the folks folding it can make a difference. I hate it when a flag fits 'sloppy' in a box.

KC

Thanks Lee. I wish I had the flag in hand but that's not an option right now and I've only got 2 days to get this done. There's a bit of wiggle room folding the flag depending on how tight (or loose) you fold it so I think I can use Lee's measurements and adjust the fold to fit. This will be my first ceremonial flag case, though I've made several burial flag cases in the past. For those who just have to know, the standard casket flag is 5 foot ' X 9 1/2 foot, the ceremonial flag, which is now given to all military retirees, is 3 foot X 5 foot.

Thanks again
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin
    Thanks Lee. I wish I had the flag in hand but that's not an option right now and I've only got 2 days to get this done. There's a bit of wiggle room folding the flag depending on how tight (or loose) you fold it so I think I can use Lee's measurements and adjust the fold to fit. This will be my first ceremonial flag case, though I've made several burial flag cases in the past. For those who just have to know, the standard casket flag is 5 foot ' X 9 1/2 foot, the ceremonial flag, which is now given to all military retirees, is 3 foot X 5 foot.
    Sounds like just scaling the dimensions to 3/5 of the burial flag case would work: the flag width is the critical dimension, the length just affects the folded thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Sounds like just scaling the dimensions to 3/5 of the burial flag case would work: the flag width is the critical dimension, the length just affects the folded thickness.
    I'm not sure that the above statement is correct. If you scale up a 3x5 flag to "casket" size it would only be 5'x8.3'. So a casket flag has different proportions from a ceremonial flag. That suggests to me that the folded flags will also have different proportions. I'm going to do a little drawing with my Autocad program to see what happens; but the result will be only theoretical as I won't be able to take into account the thickness of the material, the tightness of the fold or the increased dimensions due to layering created by the folding.

I would suggest you call your local VFW post. There is bound to be someone who has a case they can measure and give you the exact dimensions that you need.

Another thing you could do is buy a flag of your own, fold it and measure it yourself. When you are done, you can fly the flag on your home and demonstrate your support for our troops who are current in harms way!!