Thread: First Project: Cradle/Rocking Crib

First Project: Cradle/Rocking Crib

I always wanted to do some woodwork but finally got the excuse with my wife expecting our first in September. Although a bit ambitious i set about making a cradle/rocking crib with designs from October '87 issue of WOOD Magazine and this website http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/BeckysCradle.php

I had to slightly alter the plans and convert them to metric (I’m in the UK) but got there in the end. Not entirely happy with my finishing (my least favorite part) but overall it’s worked out well with a skateboard bearing ensuring that the rocking goes on for a long time with just a little push.

Its all made with basic redwood as i couldnt truct myself to make mistakes on expensive hardwoods. 3 coats of varnish should see it durable enough.

Next up a changing table…probably should have done this first as it’s far easier!!!

IMG_1724.jpgIMG_1725.jpgIMG_1726.jpgIMG_1727.jpgIMG_1737.jpgIMG_1738.jpg

Quite a first project!

John

An early congrats to your new addition to your family Colm. And nice work on the cradle.
    Make sure you post some pics of the changing table when it's done.

WOW first project, very nice!

Looks great Colm,

I used the same magazine article to build one like it, back when it was first published. Made some modifications too, and it is still sitting in my daughters bedroom. She used it for her two adult daughters when they were born, and is saving it for when they need it. That will make it 4th generation already, counting me. I made a total of three cradles, all different, for my three kids, when they had their first child.

Rick Potter

Nice job ,Colm. I agree with Rick,something that size lends itself to being kept and passed down.