Thread: Client wants painted white built-in...

Client wants painted white built-in...

I suggested a laminate. He was open to that suggestion. I loathe the thought of using melamine. However, a clean white laminate on both sides would sure simplify things for me.

What would be best? Melamine? Or plywood and then I laminate it myself?

Obviously there are cost considerations as well. 3/4" plywood $45 + $80 for two sheets of laminate. Not very economical.

Or just plywood and paint it all gloss white?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

A nicely prepared substrate with a white gloss paint looks awesome.

And it's repairable.

Todd

Jeff Monson just did this one. If I do a painted built in again, I'll consider this regimen:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204167-1st-built-in-s-are-done!&highlight=
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-15-2013 at 9:49 AM.

Thanx for the tips. Sadly, I lost the bid on this one. It would've been a fun build.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

How does your bid processes work? When I was working professionally, I would go to a prospective client's house for free, and give them a $ figure. If they wanted to "see" it ("it" in most cases was a built-in) before they committed, I would do a quick sketchup drawing for $35 (no construction details) they could keep regardless. And the fee would be deducted from their bill if they chose me.

I found that the majority of clients that got drawings picked me. My competition usually gave them a visual by waving their arms showing where things would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    How does your bid processes work? When I was working professionally, I would go to a prospective client's house for free, and give them a $ figure. If they wanted to "see" it ("it" in most cases was a built-in) before they committed, I would do a quick sketchup drawing for $35 (no construction details) they could keep regardless. And the fee would be deducted from their bill if they chose me.

I found that the majority of clients that got drawings picked me. My competition usually gave them a visual by waving their arms showing where things would be.
    Well, sadly I'm the guy waiving his arms around. I will show a hand drawn sketch as well. I take measurements, calculate materials, add some markup for the inevitable things I forget, estimate how many hours, then talley it all up and send an estimate using InvoiceASAP on my iPhone.

I've recently started to learn to use google SketchUp, but am far from proficient at the moment. I realize the value in showing a professional looking drawing so I'm committed to learning it ASAP.

I overbid on this one. The guy said I was 38% higher than the next highest bidder. He actually had a detailed drawing for me to work from so I'm convinced my $$$$ was his reason for not choosing me.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

7. Your client wants painted white, so you should paint it white. You also said that he was open to that suggestion of a laminate, if he agrees with you then do it. I think it will be great.