Thread: Drill press dilema

Drill press dilema

I have an opportunity to get a Powermatic 1150 for around $120. I know they're highly sought after by woodworkers. It needs some TLC (a paint job for sure, a motor swap, and a switch). I already have a Grizzly 14" drill press that I'm happy with (I love Grizzly), and its in good shape.So my question is: is the deal I'm getting so good I should kick the grizzly to the curb (I can sell it for what I would pay for the powermatic),and buy the Powermatic?
    Any body know anything about the 1150? Thanks, have a good one.
    Last edited by Calvin Jamison; 06-16-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: dont let your meat loaf

In 1984 the Powermatic No. 1150A sold for $1083. Adjusting for inflation that's $2423 in 2013 dollars. That should give you an idea of the build quality.

You'd need to spend some pretty serious money to even get to the point of it not being a great buy.

If the spindle is in good shape and it has both its original step pulleys you should get it.

Bearings, belts and a new chuck (if it needs a new chuck) would be about all you'd be looking at with replacement, if the spindle is good and it has the original step pulleys.

The table might have an "arc of shame" but for wooddorking drill presses I cover the table with a piece of wood/MDF/plywood.

There have been many No. 1150's restored on the OWWM. There's plenty of information there to talk you off the ledge if you need it.

If it was me, I'd be giving the nice man some money as soon as possible.

I already put in my bid, I've dealt with these guys before and feel pretty confident I will get it. I will know for sure tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

You'll love that DP - just be sure to check the runout.

I got a mid-80's 1150A - VS a few years ago, in very good reconditioned shape. Paid $850, plus travel to & from Atlanta to northern tip of W VA. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

You'll need some muscle to help you set it up - thing's a beast. I installed block & tackle with come-along attached to ceiling joists, to haul the head up and set the post under it.

FYI - when mine was reconditioned, he put a single phase motor on it. I git him to throw in the original 3 phase motor. He told me it ran fine, just wanted to convert.

I have that motor sitting around here somewhere, in case you want to talk about a deal. My thoughts about remounting it, and then putting a var freq drive in front will never happen.

BUT - with your drill press, that would be an excellent setup - gives you var speed [within a certain range] if you want to go that way.

I'm not here very often these days, so email me if you want to talk.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Have to agree with the others....the PM 1150 is a REAL drill press and you might have a hard time finding a table for it for $150....never mind the whole press! I can't tell you whether or not you should buy it since I don't know what your needs are, but they are great presses and in no way should be confused with any light duty Asian press.

good luck,
    JeffD

Some excellent advice. A grizzly is no where near the quality of a PM 1150.

Got it! This thing is awesome. Its got to be made out of the same metal as Thors hammer. Far better than the Grizzly. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the refurb, I'll post pics when I'm done, thanks for helping me make up my mind on this.
    Last edited by Calvin Jamison; 06-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.