Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw blade tracking problem

Angry Bandsaw blade tracking problem

Hello creekers, I have a small problem, not too major, just frustrating because I like things to work when they say they should.

I have a G0514x2 19" Grizzly Bandsaw. I have 1/2", 3/4", and 1" blades that track perfectly fine with very little adjustment between each.

I just bought a Timberwolf 1/8" blade for it and can't get the darn thing to track straight to save my life. I have spent 4 hours on it, tensioning, retensioning, tracking, retracking, adjusting here, adjusting there, etc...

Should I just chalk it up to being too small of a blade even though Grizzly says it will take a 1/8" blade? I'm looking to cut some curves, mainly small letters about 3 to 8 inches tall for the wife. Would a 1/4 or 3/8 blade work good for that and maybe track better? Use to use a 1/8 blade on my old 14" Rigid with no problem. Pretty new to this big beast of a bandsaw.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Adjust the tracking to where the gullet rides just a fuzz forward of the crown, this will give better support for the teeth, and tension just until the blade stops fluttering. As for blade size, you could probably use a 1/4 blade and be alright. I use a 1/4 for scroll work on my 18" and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Jamison View Post
    Adjust the tracking to where the gullet rides just a fuzz forward of the crown, this will give better support for the teeth, and tension just until the blade stops fluttering. As for blade size, you could probably use a 1/4 blade and be alright. I use a 1/4 for scroll work on my 18" and it works great.
    So you mean cheat towards the front side of the wheel?

Yeah a little. To where the crown is just behind the gullet. Dont mess with your wheels to make them co-plainer,I have in the past, got my wheels perfectly co- plainer, and had trouble with tracking afterward. I have checked bandsaws at stores, and different place's I've worked and none of them are co-plainer. I think the manufacture builds them that way for a reason. Or your bandsaw is totaly busted and you should sell it to me, ha ha.

I don't know but it seems like it might be better to use a scroll saw for really tight turns. By the way I get consistent tracking issue with my bandsaw too, I discovered the shaking is due to blade tracking issue, as in the blade would move front and back (not side to side) unless it's riding against the thrust bearing, in that case the shaking would stop. I'm not sure if it's a coplaner issue.

What does the 1/8" blade do, tracking wise? Does it cyclone forwards/backwards on the wheels?

Timberwolf blades w/ bad welds are not unheard of.

Timberwolf and bad welds is very true. Lenox & Starrett make very good blades, and they don't cost that much more than a timberwolf blade.

So is blade moving back and forth bad weld? My bandsaw is doing this consistently with all blades regardless of manufacturer so I think it's not bad weld...

Blog Entries
    1/8" is a small blade for any bandsaw. I have run a 1/4" blade on my 17" G0513X without issue but, the roller-style guides would make it very easy to munch a small blade's teeth; there's just not much room for error there. If the thrust bearing isn't positioned to keep the set out of the rollers, the blade would be shot in the blink of an eye. Kind of like touching the dirt with your chainsaw for "just a moment" . . . a moment is all it takes ;-)

Carter sells a rig for using small blades on bandsaws for scrolling style work; a "Stabilizer" I think it is called (?). I have so-so success with an 1/8" blade on my 10" bandsaw but, I get that by burying the blade in some blocks I use for guides. The available area behind the gullet of an 1/8" blade is just really small for getting a good position with hard guides in my experience.

I have run a lot of Timberwolf blades and they did have a run of bad welds a year or so ago. They always cheerfully replaced them but, then the problem went away. I just assumed that someone's nephew who was welding blades as a summer job went back to school or something. Maybe they just got tired of hearing from me .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The aluminum wheels can warp if over heated.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    1/8" is a small blade for any bandsaw. I have run a 1/4" blade on my 17" G0513X without issue but, the roller-style guides would make it very easy to munch a small blade's teeth; there's just not much room for error there. If the thrust bearing isn't positioned to keep the set out of the rollers, the blade would be shot in the blink of an eye. Kind of like touching the dirt with your chainsaw for "just a moment" . . . a moment is all it takes ;-)

Carter sells a rig for using small blades on bandsaws for scrolling style work; a "Stabilizer" I think it is called (?). I have so-so success with an 1/8" blade on my 10" bandsaw but, I get that by burying the blade in some blocks I use for guides. The available area behind the gullet of an 1/8" blade is just really small for getting a good position with hard guides in my experience.

I have run a lot of Timberwolf blades and they did have a run of bad welds a year or so ago. They always cheerfully replaced them but, then the problem went away. I just assumed that someone's nephew who was welding blades as a summer job went back to school or something. Maybe they just got tired of hearing from me .
    The Carter stabilizer is the only option I see as viable for saws with bearing-type blade guides and narrow blades. As Glenn says, there is very little flat metal behind the gullets for bearing-type guides to bear against. If you can retrofit guide blocks - cool blocks or shop made wood blocks, you can bury the blade in the guides and let the blade cut its own space.

My bandsaw has cast iron wheel, and I think by the time it got hot enough to warp the blade would have been gone... I mean the wheel doesn't contact the workpiece at all. I don't think warped wheel is the issue here...

Thanks to all the responses. The wheels are cast and brand new, only cut a few things on it so heat is no issue and all my other blades from 1/2 - 1" work great.

No matter how easy I go with the tracking knob, barely touching it, it just won't stay centered. It will look like it's completely centered and tracking fine for about 6 or 7+ turns of the bandsaw wheel but then it just gets off and I have to try and track it back the other way. I tried cheating it a bit today towards the front just a hair as suggested, still didn't work, just kept walking towards the edge of the wheel.

I have a scroll saw but I just like the big table of the bandsaw and dust collection hookups I have, which is why I was giving it a shot. I use to have a 14" Rigid with a 1/8 blade and loved to use it over the scroll saw on small crafts. Might just have to stick to a scroll and rig up some DC to that side. I ordered a 1/4 blade from Timberwolf so will see how it goes before I put the reason on the blade. Thanks again for the info guys.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    This video may help. I learned a lot from this presentation...especially the fact that some of this experts advice is significantly different from "books" that hype other techniques. His worked for me in spades!

Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I wonder if the tension you've applied has compressed the tires, such that they deform.

If the tires are now eccentric (they might be extrusions, with a "weld" of their own) this could induce what appears
    to be a high spot to the blade as it rotates. I'm with Frank on the Snodgrass recommendation,

put the bottom of the gullet at the center of the wheel.
    That works for me. Dropping the table to get the lower guides adjusted
    made things much easier.

If you've only got one set of guides engaged, there's a longer span
    of blade that's unsupported. I would think that a smaller blade would be
    easier to adjust, so affirm the basics first - before disposing of the blade.

Please post your findings, this is just the sort of malady plaguing most of us.