Thread: 10 closets with custom storage...

10 closets with custom storage...

So I have a job I'm working an estimate for. I've done some minor work for this lady before. I am to build some shelving of vastly varying sizes as well as some built in storage. No doors or drawers. Lots of hanging space and several adjustable shelves.

So my question is this... To build on site? Or in the shop?

In shop Pros:

All of my tools at my disposal
    Good lighting
    My wife makes food for me

In shop cons:

Limited space to store completed parts of the projects
    Inability to check my measurements of the closets

On site pros:

2 miles from my lumber yard of choice
    Ability to check my measurements and adjust the design if need be

On site cons:

Time and travel expenses
    Limited tools

There are probably more pros and cons of each I'm sure. This is just a quick first thought.

What are your thoughts.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Bump... Anyone?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Michael, Will try to return the GF pre cat suggestion from earlier today with this advice. Finish them complete in your shop! I'm hearing the limited space but it sound like processing a lot of sheet goods ? We do a bit of cabinets and countertops ( corian etc. ) and once we leave the job after templating and measurements with good notes we do not to come back till install. TAKE GOOD NOTES AND TEMPLATES. Get yourself some templast ( clear plastic ) cheap templating materials. Sure, field work is necessary but you want to keep it to a minimum -IMO. We use a system for built ins and closet shelving that can work time and time again and we come away with just trimming a shelf or two and trimming up the rods. We use a vertical panel that matches our shelving that goes from floor to ceiling to attach all shelving and rods without just cleats. If you first screw framing to the rock or wall board and hen shim plum and square it up before attaching the panel you have straight, solid backing for everything. A return or detail can hide the blocking if the detail only comes out shelf deep in a deeper room. I can PM some details, its easier to see in photos as I don't do sketch up. HERES THE TIME SAVER ........These panel along with all your other trims and shelves are cut, edge banded, drilled for shelf pins and finished ( Im thinking GF pre cat) at your shop. Good luck with it

Thanx for the tips! Please do send me a PM with more details.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------