Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3d Engraving Trotec or ULS?

Wow! Those are fantastic! And exactly the kind of examples I need to reassure me that Trotec drives can do 3d well. Thanks!

I'm not sure what they used, unfortunately. I can e-mail and ask though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiten Patel View Post
    Jason,

Here are a few examples of some key chains done on a 80w Trotec.
    very nice!

ok, everyone .. only 174 more shopping days till Chuck Stone's birthday. (observed)

This topic had been discussed many times, if you do a search for 3d, you will find that http://www.gantryco.com/ is the place that specializes in 3d files for the laser. The files have to be tweaked in just the right way to get the level of detail that you saw on the eagle so they are not cheap, they also take a relatively long time to engrave unless you have more than 100watts. It seems that no one has ever been able to figure out a way to make money with 3d laser files but I would be interested to find out if someone has figured out a way, other than the laser manufacturers using them as examples of how cool the laser is. I believe the consensus still remains that it's cool but too expensive and time consuming to make money with. You can get the 3d eagle sample from gantryco if you click on the eagle picture you can ask for them to e-mail it to you. Mine looked best on some 1/2" maple.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    It seems that no one has ever been able to figure out a way to make money with 3d laser files but I would be interested to find out if someone has figured out a way, other than the laser manufacturers using them as examples of how cool the laser is.
    I started using it to make 3D pen blanks, as well as rastering Corian
    to make positives for silicone molds.
    It isn't as if once you buy the laser, the people start coming in saying "I heard
    you do 3D!" Like any other tool.. someone will find a way to use it in ways that
    might not be the 'norm' and some may not see the possibilities. And while 3D
    files themselves might not be the goal, once you realize that it is simply changing
    power on the fly in raster mode, it could change the way you lay out your files.
    Something you might have done in two or three passes before (due to different
    power levels for different areas/materials/effects etc.) can perhaps be done in
    one pass using the 3D mode. Time saved is money in the bank..

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    I'm not sure what they used, unfortunately. I can e-mail and ask though!
    Ok, thank you very mutch
    Fred (France) with an Universal 50W