Thread: Which should I buy? Delta or Wilton

Which should I buy? Delta or Wilton

I'm interested in a couple different Sanders from an industrial resale shop, but I can't decide which one to get. One is a Delta 52-611 12" disc/6" belt sander and the other is a Wilton belt sander. The delta is about $40 more than the Wilton (I dont know why) but its in a little rougher shape, and the Wilton is in good shape but is only a belt sander.Their both heavy floor model machines. Should I even care about the disc? I'm stuck and could use some help.
    Last edited by Calvin Jamison; 06-14-2013 at 4:41 PM.

Delta. Repair parts are easier to come by.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Delta parts USED to be easier to get. With the current state of Delta, I wouldn't invest in any [more] of their equipment. I have no idea how hard it is to get parts for Wilton.

I have found the disk to be very useful. Good for quick touch ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Delta parts USED to be easier to get. With the current state of Delta, I wouldn't invest in any [more] of their equipment. I have no idea how hard it is to get parts for Wilton.
    Used parts. For older machines.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Gotcha. Fair enough.

Calvin, I can't comment on the Wilton but I have one of the Delta 52-611 sanders that has been bullet proof. It has a very capable 1½ hp motor and great dust collection. I use the disk more than the belt.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Actually getting parts for current machines is can be difficult too. I had some rollers for my drum sander on back order for a year and a half.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S Stockton View Post
    Actually getting parts for current machines is can be difficult too. I had some rollers for my drum sander on back order for a year and a half.
    Tom
    Right, that is in agreement. What is being said is, that for older machines, parts are somewhat easy to be had from non-Delta sources (eBay, OWWM gents, etc.).

I went with the Delta, just got the invoice for it. Thanks for your help. Have a good one

Blog Entries
    I replaced a spindle sander with a spindle disk combo as I find the large disk very useful. I made this little X-Y sled for doing things like sanding end grain, tweaking miters and so forth but, a miter gauge will do many tasks on a good smooth-running disc.

Disc Sander Jig v1 (5).jpgDisc Sander Jig v1 (6).jpgDisc Sander Jig v1 (7).jpgDisc Sander Jig v1 (8).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-15-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler