Thread: Weight Limit for Plywood Bed - Camper

Weight Limit for Plywood Bed - Camper

I searched around and couldn't find anything, but this site seems to be a great resource already. If this is to be in a different forum please move it or let me know, sorry.

I have a VW Van, the upper bunk only had the rear attached portion when I got it. Basically I built the remaining portion (that folds out) using 3/4" birch plywood. The dimensions of each are 43" Wide by 19" deep. I'm 200lbs, I just want to be sure I won't crash through! I have found sagometer sites etc, but I cant seem to find what the structural weight limit on birch plywood is, at a span of 43". Also,the existing portion and the 2-43"x19" portions are attached together with 36" piano hinges.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Basically your plywood is going to be about as stiff as a pine board of the same thickness. However, since this is a bed your 200 pounds won't be concentrated in one spot. We have a camper with a double bed that holds two of us that is a single thickness of 3/4" plywood and the bed is at least 50 x 72 supported at the edges. This bed easily supports over 350 pounds.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a 1984 Westfalia. Everything "upstairs" is original, and it's 3/4" birch plywood. I'm not sure how much it contributes, but there is also a 3/4" steel U-channel on the end of the plywood that flips (the U is at the front when the bed is in sleep mode). Other than that, it is only the sides of the plywood that have support. The pivot is a sort of articulated hinge at each side, and there is no additional support across the opening at the seam between the fixed plywood and the moving plywood.

For what it's worth, I'm on the very high side of 200 pounds, so with me and wifey, the stock upper bunk is supporting every bit of 400 pounds.

You guys are on fire, thanks for that. It will be only me up there, with wife and baby down below. I was mostly concerned with breaking through and crushing them! As a whole, the bed is 43" span across, and about 38" deep (front van to existing rear piece). Climbing up and down on it I was fairly tentative. It was suggested to drill in flat metal plates across it but I dont know what structural integrity this would add.

The stock upper bunk was missing when we bought this one unfortunately.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Flat metal plates won't add much but an angle or wood rib along the edge will stiffen it significantly if you're worried.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute