Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MF Langdon 74-C Parts?

MF Langdon 74-C Parts?

I am restoring a Millers Falls Langdon Acme 74-C miter box but am stymied by lack of a part. The box is missing the elevator on the rear post.

Anyone have or know of a source for Langdon parts?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Fortunately mine has all the parts. I have had the same problem with other old hand tools though. I have three Stanley/North Bros. 1530/1530A drills. It took that many to get one that was operational. After a few months of soaking parts I ended up with two operational drills.

Elevator?

Is that L-section piece that slides along a set screw?
    https://sites.google.com/site/langdo...xes/home/parts

A photo might help...

Nice link Jim.
    the elevator is the spring loaded stop that holds the saw elevated.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Elevator Assembly Pic

The elevator is an assembly that screws into the housing through which the posts holding the saw slide up and down. The elevator locks the posts in the up position keeping the saw off the stock as you arrange it in preparation for a cut. LandonElevatorAssembly_zpsf4152fef.jpg

Russ, did you ever find that elevator assembly? I recently picked up a pristine-looking Millers Falls #74C with everything...except the rear elevator assembly. Isn't it odd that both of us have ones that lack the same part in the same location? I'm wondering if users, in practice, removed the rear elevator assembly, choosing to elevate the front only and being able to operate the remaining elevator assembly with one hand while holding the saw handle with the other.

In any event, I too am in the hunt for an elevator assembly. Perhaps there's a broken up #74C out there that could be cannibalized for those parts. Do you know of anyone who has a reputation for having a large miterbox collection?

Just picked up a 74 C today in South Carolina and am also looking for a saw stop and matching screw. There is one for the rear saw guide but the front one is missing. Has anyone had success finding one?

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/pdf/MFLA_MiterBox.pdf

Sorry for long-delayed response. I've been consumed building a new shop.

Fellow Creeker Jim Matthews generously offered a spare he was willing to part with so I was able to complete my rehab. I have no idea if Jim has additional parts, but assume he'd have contacted you if he did as was incredibly generous and helpful to me.

Good luck with your quest!

FYI-I've had luck getting parts for MF miter boxes, including a couple of those elevators, from Lynn Dowd. http://dowdstools.com

HTH (someone else who can't find these parts).
    Tony

Believe it or not,we still use these boxes in our cabinet shop(certain applications)......long,boring to some stories,and not the point of post.

We also have a very nice machine shop.Let me pull one of these "assemblies" and give it a look see......can possibly make a "run" of 1/2 dz or so,on the cheap.Ya'll pay parts/postage.Will pull one today.

Hi Brian,

I'd be happy to see what you can do. It seems to be a common problem. Thanks

I need the same part. My miter box is missing the same part/assembly.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 01-16-2014 at 3:19 PM.

I've seen parts on that auction site periodically. I'm another one lucky enough to have a complete box.

Google and you may find tool sellers with parts.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Glenn,I pulled two....one of Dad's(real old,prolly 1920's?),and a "newish" one from one of mine.I bought one new in the late 70's.They were both essentially the same.The only minor difference was the knurled adjuster thingy.The older one was a little nicer.Also,the finish on the older one(not patina,but surface)was a touch nicer as well.Other than that,you can screw the one out of his box into mine.

Slight detour....ya'll do know how these are intended to be used don't you?It's obviously to hold the saw up....what I'm referring to is how,when properly adjusted,all it takes is just a "wiggle" of the handle and the saw drops.

But anyway,I just jumped right in.At lunch chucked up a pce of 1/2" mild steel,turned it...threaded it...flipped it and did the other end.No big deal,24 TPI,turned to .465(don't quote that).Took it out of lathe and it screwed right into both saws.I could make prints?But just decided to chuck it up and get to turning/threading.

There's two issues that I thought about...well,maybe three.

1st> source a spring,I will mic it,and post what we need.

2nd>The outer part can be mild steel.....the inner part,may need to be of a little better grade.Drill rod?

3rd>On the outer part...one end is simply bored to 5/16"(don't quote that,I measured it,but was in a hurry....it was a std. size)...this is what the inner part slides into to.The other end of it(outer member) has,and I'm making an educated guess....what looks to be a punched,broached hole.I have a cpl ways to do this,just haven't decided.

It's really no big deal,the spring is prolly the hardest part.......and that should be rather painless?I'll make them,ya'll make a nice donation to site.If I was pricing them for E-pay....it would be in the 20$ range.Can't imagine postage to be much?I will say,other than the spring,you'll be hardpressed to tell the difference between one of ours and an original,for what that's worth?

Miter Box Parts

Brian, I realize this post is directed to Glenn, but if I can piggyback on this offer, I would appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    Glenn,I pulled two....one of Dad's(real old,prolly 1920's?),and a "newish" one from one of mine.I bought one new in the late 70's.They were both essentially the same.The only minor difference was the knurled adjuster thingy.The older one was a little nicer.Also,the finish on the older one(not patina,but surface)was a touch nicer as well.Other than that,you can screw the one out of his box into mine.

Slight detour....ya'll do know how these are intended to be used don't you?It's obviously to hold the saw up....what I'm referring to is how,when properly adjusted,all it takes is just a "wiggle" of the handle and the saw drops.

But anyway,I just jumped right in.At lunch chucked up a pce of 1/2" mild steel,turned it...threaded it...flipped it and did the other end.No big deal,24 TPI,turned to .465(don't quote that).Took it out of lathe and it screwed right into both saws.I could make prints?But just decided to chuck it up and get to turning/threading.

There's two issues that I thought about...well,maybe three.

1st> source a spring,I will mic it,and post what we need.

2nd>The outer part can be mild steel.....the inner part,may need to be of a little better grade.Drill rod?

3rd>On the outer part...one end is simply bored to 5/16"(don't quote that,I measured it,but was in a hurry....it was a std. size)...this is what the inner part slides into to.The other end of it(outer member) has,and I'm making an educated guess....what looks to be a punched,broached hole.I have a cpl ways to do this,just haven't decided.

It's really no big deal,the spring is prolly the hardest part.......and that should be rather painless?I'll make them,ya'll make a nice donation to site.If I was pricing them for E-pay....it would be in the 20$ range.Can't imagine postage to be much?I will say,other than the spring,you'll be hardpressed to tell the difference between one of ours and an original,for what that's worth?