Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble shooting a Delta 46-460

Question Trouble shooting a Delta 46-460

Stopped suddenly. I let it cool. No cigar. Also no running lathe.

I checked the connections. No loose plugs. Vacuumed the switch area. Took the top off of the switch area and vacuumed again. No luck yet.

I had stalled the engine while drilling out a cup. In the past, I waited a couple of minutes and pushed in the breaker behind the switch. No effect.

Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, have you checked to make sure there is power getting to the lathe? Meaning - you didn't pop the breaker? If you have power there, then I would still suspect the switch is the problem. Possibly toggle the switch a few times. Do you have a multimeter to check for power at the switch?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yes on the power to the lathe. I switched plugs to one powering a lamp to make sure.

I toggled.

Yes I have a multimeter. I assume the next step is taking the big cover off.

Here is the parts page:
    http://servicenet.deltamachinery.com...Detail/46-460X

Under #204 - the switch "No longer available Contact Service Center".

If it was my lathe, I would remove power, then take off the cover that houses the power on/off switch. I would want access to the wires/connections going to the switch. Again - with the lathe unplugged - I would take a resistance reading across the power switch. With the switch in the Off position - you should read infinite. When the switch is moved to the On position, it should be a short. Chances are that the switch is dirty and you will read a very high resistance across the contacts.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Brian, my first lathe was that delta, design problem with switch, i had electrician change out switch, he used a light switch, never had another problem with it, if you use the delta parts expect to have to replace the switch again

There is a switch issue with the 46-460, and on the one I had, I had to blow out the dust and clean the switch a few times as it wouldn't turn on. Others have had to replace the switch, but in the 1.5 years I had the Delta, I did not have to do that.

I called Delta service and they said I could take it to a service center and get it repaired under warrantee. Since free is the amount of spare cash I have at the moment, I'll try that next. If it happens again I'll think about Charlie's suggestion of a light switch installed by an electrician.

Brian, they like to keep it for at least a week to replace that switch, electician goes out to his truck, gets part, takes maybe 5 minutes to replace

If you have an air compressor you should try blowing into the switch. You will get a lot more air/dust movement with a compressor than you would with a vacuum. JMO.......Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Brian, is a service center close?? If not open that panel and give us peek. I bet that switch is your problem and most are very simple low voltage systems. As said by Steve take the power off. BTW I searched around and the power switch does come up as a problem a lot. One interesting post here on SMC found that the cord got pulled and disconnected itself in the housing.

I turned it in to the service center but I may not leave it there. They said they can't get to it for 3 weeks and it takes an average of 4 weeks to get parts from Delta.

I do not have a compressed air system so I just blew it with the vacuum. No effect there. No loose wires that I could see.

Can anyone loan me a Oneway or Robust while it's gone?

And I would appreciate a couple of sympathy groans too.

[QUOTE=Brian Kent;2118567Can anyone loan me a Oneway or Robust while it's gone?

And I would appreciate a couple of sympathy groans too.[/QUOTE]

I still have that Craftsman tube lathe in the barn. I'm planning to fly to LAX in August - I could put it in my second free bag if you haven't got your Delta back. That's one way to get a robust turning experience.

I do sympathize. I've had to wait for parts for my Kia (Grizzly), but not that long.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Brian, since you don't have a compressor, and the vac pressure didn't work, get yourself a soda straw from your local Big Gulp store. Use that to try to blow out dust. You'd be surprised how much pressure you can generate.
    Those rocker switches are no good, specially in the horizontal position like you're showing. Dust gets in between the contacts preventing contact. Do what Charlie said. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Bummer yeah. Do you have a Spring pole handy??

Brian
    I sent the pm cause I hadn't see this thread. But I've got an extra Jet 1014, now all we would need is a matter transmitter to get it to you and you'd be all set.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.