Thread: Mini Metal Lathe

Mini Metal Lathe

I'm looking to purchase a a 7" x 12" or 7" x 14" mini metal lathe, brand unknown. Most of them just list threading capabilities of 12 - 52 TPI, but am trying to find out if any of you with one of these has been able to cut 8 TPI? Given that these have a 16T TPI lead screw, mathmatically, change gear setup would need to be: A = 60, B = 40, C = 40 , D = 30. Would like to know if the gears can physically be put on as listed and mesh correctly.

Thanks.

Mike, this came up today in Green Valley, Arizona, close to Tucson. Do you have any interest????? I know there is no thread cutting avalible, but it looks good for the price....... .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Posted: 2013-06-07, 11:29AM MST
    Pratt & Whitney #3 Metal Lathe - $275 (Green Valley)

Pratt & Whitney #3 Metal Lathe
    3 Jaw Chuck
    54 Collets - .03 to .495
    7 in Face Plate
    Live & Dead Centers
    Plus Other Accessories
    Manual Feed
    ½ Horse Power Variable Speed Motor
    See info at: http://www.lathes.co.uk/pratt%26whitney/
    • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 3855727691
    Posted: 2013-06-07, 11:29AM MST
    email to a friend
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-07-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Removed active CL links.

If you really have your heart set on it, you could get one and convert it to CNC or CNC/manual and be able to cut literally any thread pitch you want. I have a little lathe that does not do any thread cutting, so I am toying with the idea of getting some stuff together and doing this, as I think it would be fun.

I recommend the following lathe and supplier.

http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER8x14Lathe.htm

Great products and ready to roll out of the box.