Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resale value of Chinese laser cutting machines

Resale value of Chinese laser cutting machines

I am in the process of looking for a replacement laser for my aging ULS 25ER. It's been a super working machine for three years now but I know that time will eventually force me to buy a replacement. So, I am looking at all low cost possibles including the Chinese laser option. One thing that I noticed here is that few people mention what one of these used imported units is worth. There is a 60 W YH-G9060 unit locally for sale that was imported three years ago but never used. It needs to be wired for US 220 Volt connection and the fellow is asking $6000. It occurred to me that I have no way of evaluating what this unit is really worth. Will it even work after sitting idle for three years? What happens if someone buys it and it needs repair? What is the realistic lifetime of one of these older units? Are they obsolete faster than the more mainstream types like ULS and Epilog? Thoughts?

Kay
    AerodromeRC
    WWI and Golden Age R/C scale model airplane kits
    25W ULS 25ER, AutoCAD 2000i

I would be leary of any used machine, especially a Chinese manufactured one. The Chinese lasers all use glass tubes and I'm betting after three years it is dead. A metal tube would probably be either dead or have reduced power after that much time of non-use as well, but it would have a better chance of working. You have probably read about some issues with support, you'll probably get none buying a three year old used laser... As for value, look at the prices for a new one and compare - I wouldn't spend more than about 1/4 to 1/3 of new price for used - is that a $12k - $18k laser? I doubt it. You could probably replace it for not much more than they are asking. Just my .02

Gary

Way too pricey and the better chinese companys have improved QC , motherboards etc in the last 3 years..I wouldn't pay more than $2k..and even then , without seeing it work , most likely pass. Cost of a brand new 600x900 80w machine FOB from china is $3.5k or so .. with all the extras..add $700-1000 for shipping , duties , forwarding etc..
    I would not expect to get very much for my chinese machines after 3-5 years , maybe 30-40% of what I paid..but then again , I couldn't care as the money they have made me in that time more than pays for themselves many times over. I would just buy myself a nice new and improved model when my machines are no longer able to work. Lasers are tools and not investments..
    Taking a 60% loss or even dumping a 5 yr old laser at $5k is not that painful..having to basically mothball (havent the heart to dump them) 2 of my mainstream $20 000 explorers after 7 years cos of dead tubes and other issues is a lot more painful...
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 06-06-2013 at 1:32 PM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks, Gary. I did manage to find the manufacturer of this model and it costs $5000 new FOB I think I'll pass. I understand the problems with used lasers too. I got lucky in that mine was refurbished but the seller couldn't make it cut the way he wanted because the lens housing was mislabeled so he never could get it focused correctly. I also had some replacements of my own such as the Testra Controller which was a mixed success. It certainly cuts my parts in half the time but the support from the company is non existent.

It's hard to know which direction to turn for a replacement. There is no way for me to justify a new ULS or Epilog.

Thanks Rodney, I figured that they could be considered as consumables. Might still be an option.

Kay
    AerodromeRC

My Redsail M900, which is the same size and power as your machine cots about $5K delivered to my door. So $6K may be OK if it is a really good condition and you want to avoid the importing hassle. It may very well need a new tube, because the tubes have limited shelf life and last longer when operated regularly. (this is true of many vacuum tubes and lasers) That being said, you should be able to ghet the price down a bit.
    One really nice thing about the Chinese machines is that parts are very easy to get, and inexpensive. Stepper motors, drivers, tubes, power supplies, and even the controllers and items that are commonly available. For instance, my machine had a Leetro 6515 controller, which is very common. I swapped it out with a controller made by LightObject because the new controller did not require a software dongle and had an Ethernet interface. If I have a part fail in the machine, I can order a replacement from one of several vendors. Most motors, drivers and other parts are available from US vendors. Even if it did have to come from China, but I'd be willing to bet that if a motor went out and I had to have it shipped on two day express air from China, it would still be less than half the cost of a motor from a domestic laser manufacturer.

I have used 3 UlS

I will be writing my personal experience soon on buying a laser from china. I had 2 ULS laser for about 5 years. I just received my x700 from redsail, and so far I'm impressed. There are a few querks, but the laser etching quality is very good. Cutting power also matches or exceeds my 35 watt ULS laser. My china laser is a 50 watt. I believe it more powerful at cutting, but I have not pushed the laser too hard yet. Total cost from china to my house $3300.00 Table cutting size 29" x 19". Message me if you have any more questions.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Hi Kay,
    We will not suggest for a three-years-old laser machine , ,all of them are out of warranty ,especially the laser tube , already dead . this will cause many problems.
    Try a new one from China, + door to door ,price is almost same, and quality will be better.

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Bengtson View Post
    Thanks, Gary. I did manage to find the manufacturer of this model and it costs $5000 new FOB I think I'll pass. I understand the problems with used lasers too. I got lucky in that mine was refurbished but the seller couldn't make it cut the way he wanted because the lens housing was mislabeled so he never could get it focused correctly. I also had some replacements of my own such as the Testra Controller which was a mixed success. It certainly cuts my parts in half the time but the support from the company is non existent.

It's hard to know which direction to turn for a replacement. There is no way for me to justify a new ULS or Epilog.

Thanks Rodney, I figured that they could be considered as consumables. Might still be an option.

Kay
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER
    c-504 Inhi Tech Squre High Tech Zone ,Jinan China

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't pay more than $3k, and I'd really be much happier at sub-$2k.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I wouldn't be happy at any price. It just isn't worth the aggravation.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'd say Chinese lasers drop about 30-40% of their value the day you buy them. Every year they probably drop an additional 5-15%.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks all for these valuable insights. I'm passing on the used laser and will continue to look for alternatives. Actually, I am so used to the ULS way of doing things that I would really prefer to get a used one of them or even have another go round with getting the laser tube recharged again.

Kay
    AerodromeRC

Hi All;
    Gee, Ross- where did you pull the 30-40% figure from? Do you have a Chinese laser?
    My twin 80 watt Shenhui is two years old and I paid $9K for it , including shipping and two spare tubes.
    I was offered $10k for the package last week (initial tubes are still OK) but passed as the machine suits me fine.
    After viewing another post where someone took an RF laser case apart (scary), I am most pleased with the simplicity of the Shenhui and the ability of common folk to troubleshoot and change parts easily and economically. In addition, I am becoming more and more enamored with the Laserwork software and the ability to change a multitude of settings which are not available in mainstream units.
    To each his (or her) own, I will never again pay 3 to 4 times the price for a mainstream machine and be a captive customer for spare parts, lenses, and excessive tube replenishment pricing.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    I am becoming more and more enamored with the Laserwork software and the ability to change a multitude of settings which are not available in mainstream units.
    Care to share some examples of what it will do others won't?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Gee, Ross- where did you pull the 30-40% figure from?
    Virtually anything you buy loses value as soon as you buy it, equipment does for sure.

My twin 80 watt Shenhui is two years old and I paid $9K for it , including shipping and two spare tubes.
    I was offered $10k for the package last week (initial tubes are still OK) but passed
    George - you are too good of a businessman to have lost out on $1,000 profit on the sale of a used piece of equipment - I'm surprised you didn't tell them that you would have it ready for them in 5-6 weeks and immediately order your replacement...

Hi All;
    Gee, Ross- where did you pull the 30-40% figure from? Do you have a Chinese laser?
    I was offered $10k for the package last week (initial tubes are still OK) but passed as the machine suits me fine.
    After viewing another post where someone took an RF laser case apart (scary), I am most pleased with the simplicity of the Shenhui and the ability of common folk to troubleshoot and change parts easily and economically. In addition, I am becoming more and more enamored with the Laserwork software and the ability to change a multitude of settings which are not available in mainstream units.
    To each his (or her) own, I will never again pay 3 to 4 times the price for a mainstream machine and be a captive customer for spare parts, lenses, and excessive tube replenishment pricing.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    Pretty easy to explain to depreciation. Chinese machines are an unknown quantity made with parts that are notorious for not lasting all that long. You have no local customer support and no service people to help you evaluate/fix the machine.

How come Kia and Hyundai cars 5-10 years ago depreciated much faster than Hondas and Toyotas? How come a Bosch drill doesn't depreciate the same way as a Chicago Electric drill?

As for the person offering you 10k, I don't know what to say except they offered you too much money.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving