Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something really different for me

Something really different for me

My neighbor is a professional tree cutter, and whenever he gets a black walnut tree (very rare around here) he dumps it in my driveway. The first time, I didn't get to it for about 2 weeks, and the whole load had split badly. It was low grade firewood. The second time, I took the day off work, and cut and anchor sealed it within hours. It also split badly, but not quite as bad as the first. I couldn't see the wood going to waste, so I tried to find a way to work the crack into the design. I am not a fan of butterflies. I have seen a whip stitching with copper wire for cracks, but don't like it either. Both put the major emphasis on the crack rather than the wood. I thought I would try leather, but it needed something besides the stitch. I thought this Native American touch would work. Let me know what you think. Critique and ideas are very welcome, as I have a whole garage of cracked walnut available. SWMBO provided lots of advice and help with the feather decor on this one.

Black walnut
    about 3/8 thick
    11.75 inch diameter
    walnut oil under lacquer finish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Very well done, Sir. Nice bowl and the leather and feather not only don't compete with the wood, they complement it, with the feather echoing some of the colors present in the walnut.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

That is a gorgeous piece of wood and a beautiful bowl. Nice fix, looks great!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

I agree. The shape of the feather feature complements the swirls. Very nice job.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Not only do I like this,but I really love everything about it. That walnut just begs for something to not take away from, but to bring this piece to new hights. And you did just that IMO. Don't get any better.

Very cool, Brian! I like the rawhide lacing about the crack as it resembles in some ways the staples that were used to repair cracks in pottery and ceramics. Dressing up the rawhide with the feathers really adds a lot to this piece. SWMBO and Brian did well!

In the midst of all of this is a fabulous piece of figured wood which is well turned and finished. Just beautiful! Two thumbs up!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Trees cut in the hot, dry months of summer can be a problem. I suggest that next time you not only anchorseal it but bag it in black plastic along with wood chips. Check it once in a while to be sure that it's not getting mold.

Beautiful wood like that is a joy to turn. You've done a great job with the Indian motif. In a Northwest gallery it should sell easily. The adornment will double the price.

Very nice piece. The lacing and feathers really add to the gorgeous walnut.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

making silk out of a sow's ear...looks great
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

very nice, like the stiching and the feathers are well done, just worry if you have a whole garage of cracked walnut you will be pushing your luck to turn most of it without a mishap......

That is a thing of beauty in my eye! Very well done.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I have done several like this only used copper wire. People like them better that way than without. I do to sometimes. Jared

Always love your work. That is just gorgeous walnut. Wish it could all look as wonderfully leathery as that.

Very nice work.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Brian, good save on a beautiful cracked piece of wood. Everything looks good. Keep it up...... Jerry (in Tucson)