Thread: Whadya think? Avocado Southwest Something

Whadya think? Avocado Southwest Something

The shape is simple. Take a much bigger piece of dried avocado log, keep turning away the cracks, voids, impossible parts. Turn what's left into a Southwestern-ish form.

I kind of like it but I don't know what it is. Southwestern chimney pot?

Finished with shellac and oil-wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, thats spalted avocado, pretty wood, definitly southwest something, keep experimenting, enjoy

3. nice work..........the form is not my cup-O'-tea, however.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Brian you're getting there, but not a cigar yet. After your last post of the forms you did, I put in SoWest Pottery in my search engine, and clicked on that "Bing: Images of South Western Pottery" link and boy howdy, do you get images. . I don't know if you do that or not, but if you do, you'll get enough pictures of pottery to last you a lifetime. You might even see something like this form you just posted....
    Here I go again. A lot of people on this forum that make the Southwestern Forms do an excellent job at it, but my version of a Southwestern form is what was made by the people here in Arizona and New Mexico before Columbus. It's different than today's modern Southwestern forms which are well executed, but to me there is something missing on most. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry, since you live in Tucson, isn't anything you do by definition a Southwest Form?

Yes, I do look at the internet photos, the sites on pottery from the eight New Mexico Pueblos, and the book "Southwestern Pottery". This one started out as a deep, wide pot. Then I found a void, and a crack, and some powdered wood. This is the general shape of the stuff that held together. If there was enough material left to make the widest perimeter 1/3 or 2/5 from the bottom, then I could have made something more like a common pottery form.

I do like the color of the spalted wood, but it sure goes with a lot of interesting obstacles.

Roger, I'm glad it is not your cup of tea because with all of the little holes it would all leak out in a few seconds.

Not a cigar, yet? How 'bout if I line it with tin foil and use it as a big ol' ash tray?
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 06-04-2013 at 8:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Jerry, since you live in Tucson, isn't anything you do by definition a Southwest Form?
    YesireeBob... Everything is SoWestern. Hey Brian, I'm going to Orange in October. Doesn't matter which way I go to get there. You want to visit?......... Jerry (in Tucon)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    YesireeBob... Everything is SoWestern. Hey Brian, I'm going to Orange in October. Doesn't matter which way I go to get there. You want to visit?......... Jerry (in Tucon)
    I would love that, Jerry. I just checked my calendar and I am in town for the whole month!

Love the piece--Pueblo pots come in every possible shape. This shape is a fresh one and very unique. We have plenty of perfect SW shapes whatever that is. I wonder what was said when the first perfect SW shape was turned???