Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tall Walnut Vase

Really nice job, both the execution and the finished article. Would never have thought of using the steady rest on the neck - intuitively I would have positioned it at the largest diameter - my intuition looks to be wrong .

Excellent vase Baxter!
    The size is amazing and I would never have guessed it was so big from the 1st pics. I also love the irregularity of the sapwood band, great contrast and lots of interest.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That is an amazing piece. Thanks for showing the in process pictures too, it really helps set the stage to appreciate what you've done even more.
    Stuff I've made:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unstoppabledrew/sets/72157603258837444/

Thanks again for your thoughts! Several have commented they liked the irregular band of sapwood and knot. I definitely agree but can't take any credit. One of the many things I learned from doing this was that you need to start with a slightly crooked piece of wood with a limb sticking out the side. I wouldn't have been bright enough to visualize that. It was just the biggest piece I had at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Finney View Post
    ...... intuitively I would have positioned it at the largest diameter - my intuition looks to be wrong .
    Not wrong at all Brian. I have just had some instances where bruising occurred where the wheels ride. That created marks circling the piece that I couldn't sand out. With it being all sapwood around the widest part, I was especially afraid of that. I went with the neck because of the darker heartwood .... I thought that if the bruising occurred at least it wouldn't be as noticeable. The drawback was that I couldn't shape the neck to final size until after I had removed the steady because the arms the wheels were on wouldn't fit without hitting the shoulder or mouth. When possible, I use a faceplate and concrete screws to avoid the use of the steady. This one was just too long. As Faust noted, it doesn't take much of a chuck/jaws in this case. It only needs to support one end and make it turn.
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 06-06-2013 at 9:44 AM.