Thread: Building a Cherry Chest of Drawers

Building a Cherry Chest of Drawers

I'm going to try and build the chest of drawers described in "The Joiner and Cabinet Maker" book and I want to build it out of cherry. While selecting the various parts from my meager stock of cherry, I noticed that several boards are very light in color (almost to the point of maple!), while others have a beautiful red color. Is it safe to assume that the light-colored boards will eventually darken, and come close to the hue of the rest of the boards? Or am I hoping for too much? (The chest is for my 12 year old son, and I've never made anything that large.) Thanks in advance!

Most likely the white is the sapwood and it isn't going to darken to a red color.

Blog Entries
    There is a string concerning this. Search staining cherry sap wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Kila View Post
    Is it safe to assume that the light-colored boards will eventually darken, and come close to the hue of the rest of the boards? Or am I hoping for too much?
    I think you are hoping for too much, sounds like you have some sapwood boards. If you are looking for a uniform color I'd suggest buying more heartwood stock.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

as others said, those boards likely contain sapwood. Note that there is no structural difference between the sap and heartwood of cherry nor does it affect the grade of lumber (same goes for walnut). You could either stain to match as already pointed out or use those boards for internal non-show faces (stretchers/aprons, back, drawer parts, etc.).

Thanks to you all for your replies. I believe I'll just have to select more stock with darker-colored heartwood for the show sides, and use the sap wood for non-show sections. Mahalo!

Just curious, what does a North American hardwood like cherry go for in Honolulu? I would think that shipping charges would make it rather pricey. Thanks

Buck,
    At the local Woodcraft, cherry sells at about $12.95 bf. At two other hardwood dealers: $5.75 & $5.95 per bf.