Thread: 12" Walnut Bowl

12" Walnut Bowl

I needed a turning fix this weekend, between yard work and bear watching I needed a break. So, I went out to my wood storage and saw this 12x12 piece of walnut I brought from NC in my wood survival stash. Inspired by Tim R's spectacular walnut hollow form I hoped for the best. There was a bark inclusion that went about 2/3 of the way through the center of the blank along the entire length. I some how managed to keep it together with copious amounts of CA and Verdigris Embossing powder. Some how I managed not to turn away the feather that accompanied the inclusion. Finish is Dr Workshop Walnut Oil with Wax. Overall diameter is 12"
    Walnut Bowl Side.jpgWalnut Bowl Top.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Great job keeping it together. Well worth the effort. How thin before your better judgement said "good enough"?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

good save & I like simple
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

very nice, not sure how some ca glue would keep that together, thanks for sharing

very nice. I have a similar walnut bowl with a similar type 'accent' that serves to hold screws and sawdust on my bench...I didnt have the nerve to finish it!

Bob,

I started getting nervous when the bark inclusion flew out, then called it quits when I got a fairly constant inside curve and I could see a little light through the infill. The bottom is about 1/4" including the little foot. At no time was I ever in the line of fire on this thing, even put something up to protect the window behind the lathe. Glad it held together.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck