Thread: Dropping color mica powders on walnut bowl

Dropping color mica powders on walnut bowl

I am sure this won't appeal to everyone, but it may give someone ideas. I wasn't too enamored with this walnut bowl so I used it to experiment with a new technique. I set the bowl upside down and used a 3/8" soft artist brush to drop particles of different Pearl Ex powders from about 1 1/2'. If the powder hit directly it formed a dot, but if it hit the contour of the bowl, it fluttered down the side in a cascade of color. The inside did not work as well and it may have been best to leave it natural. When all was dusted, I sprayed a light coat of lacquer from a distance to adhere the powder. Couple coats of lacquer. Interesting effect on the sides. I will post another bigger bowl turned from box elder.
    Comments or suggestions always welcome

IMG_3164.jpgIMG_3170.jpgIMG_3172.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Bergstrom; 06-03-2013 at 6:36 PM.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob - am I the only one that doesn't know anything about Pearl EX powders? Tell me a little more...I like what's happening on the outside, a lot.

Google Pearl-Ex or mica powders. Many are dichomic (which means they change color when rotated or change of light rays). Hobby Lobby and others sell them. I dry coat bowls or mix them in lacquer and spray them. Some women have used them as a cheap eye makeup. I also mix them into paste wax and rub it into the pores of ash and oak
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I use Pearl-ex powders mixed with Poly-resin to make colored pen blanks. They are widely used in the acrylic blank making community.........Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

I looked at both your bowls today, and am enjoying what you are doing. Actually like this one better. Fine line between adding too much or not enough drops, but this in the neighborhood. One thing you might try would be to bleach the outside first - would work well with either species. Please keep sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Nice embellishment concept, keep at it!
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

I like the effect
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe