Thread: Yet Another Dust Collector Question

Yet Another Dust Collector Question

Hello All,

I was looking at adding a dust collector to a small garage shop I am putting together. I noticed that Grizzly switched to an aluminum impeller on the G1028z2. Would this be a concern ? I have read some threads concrning cracked aluminum impellers, but was not sure how common this could be. I plan on adding a SSD down the road, but I will not have a pre-seperator for a while.

I have also looked at the Rikon 60-200 and the PSI DC2V3. These have the steel impellers. I am restricted to 120v and trying to keep the top price around $400.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Some folks think an aluminum impeller is better because if you pick up a small piece of steel, like a screw, aluminum won't make a spark when the screw hits the impeller.

Horse apiece. Filter quality is way more important. Dave

If you have a cyclone separator, the impeller material will be less of an issue. I made a cyclone separator for my old drum DC and it works beautifully. I exhaust outside, eliminating concerns about the best filter to use and cleaning the filter. My DC is 1.5 HP and 120V and I have it ducted throughout the shop. Here's the thread from that build: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Dust-Collector

Blog Entries
    Onieda, which some consider top of the line, uses aluminum impellers, citing:
    "Cast aluminum alloy 356T-51 / backward inclined / non-sparking, non-ferrous as required by NFPA fire code / dynamic, two-plane balanced to ISO 6.3 specifications. The same as aircraft turbine rotors". Could be just a bunch of hype.

My Torit is steel, the air sentry is AL. Both are commercial units. Cincinnati fan uses both. Their material handling impellers are generally steel. Interestingly they note that curved blade impellers are not considered self cleaning so are not used without a preseparator in the commercial units. My Coral which is a direct four bagger and very commercial uses a steel slightly curved blade so there must not be any rules from company to company. Dave

Thanks for the replies. Seems to be a non-issue. The grizzly has the largest impeller, so that is what I will go with. I will upgrade the bags and add a seperator when I can.

Bill Pentz.com will answer any dust collection question you have, the guy is like the Nichola Tesla of dust collection.