Thread: Grizzly G0490X with cupped fence.

Question Grizzly G0490X with cupped fence.

Hi All,

I'm setting up my new G0490X and found that the fence is flat and not twisted, I checked with a 36" precision straight edge. Unfortunately the fence has a cupped surface down the length. I can get a 0.008 feeler over a straight edge. I called Grizzly CS and they promptly shipped a new replacement fence. This replacement fence has the same cupping problem. I didn't bother replacing it.

IMG_20130602_115316_994[1].jpg
    The tables are perfectly flat, but this cupping will certainly mess up squaring any stock less than 6".
    I'll call CS tomorrow. Am I being too picky?

Thx, Chris

Am I being too picky?
    Nope. There's no reason you shouldn't get a more nearly perfect fence. I would have Grizzly send another or pay to have yours machined flat.

I would be persistent on the matter. That will definitely make a difference when squaring pieces that are less wide than the fence. Every subsequent operation you make on a board will be referenced off of your jointed faces. I would say that it is definitely critical to have all of your jointer's component parts in good condition, and perfectly adjusted. A warped fence is unacceptable.

If they will not replace the fence, or mill the existing one flat, you could add a flat auxiliary fence over the warped factory fence, but that may limit your face jointing capacity.

You may also be able to take your fence to a local machine shop to be milled flat, but there is a chance that the milling could relieve some internal stresses, and it will warp again. I am pretty sure Grizzly would not warranty it after someone else was grinding on it, so that may not be your best option.

I would keep pressing Grizzly to make it right, and only explore other options if their customer service is severely lacking.

You definitely should have Griz send you an acceptable fence while you have the warranty. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Grizzly will take care of you.

Blog Entries
    I agree. Have them send another fence. One of the reasons that the Grizzly is $1000 less than some others is that we sometimes have to fiddle around a bit. Its the folks that spend the extra $1000 and still have to fiddle around that I feel for. Grizzly got it right on my third G0490X fence. Customer service said they would check it prior to sending the third one out. Whether that was lip service or not, I don't know but, the third fence was just fine.

A lot of people like to bash Grizzly saying things like "if I spent that much on a new tool, it should be perfect". These folks just haven't priced the competition. I'm not a wild Grizzly fan who thinks they can do no wrong. I have Jet, Delta, Saw Stop, and Grizzly tools. They all do something a bit better than the competition either through design or price. The G0490X just happens to be one of a number of items where Griz truly offers the best bang for the buck. Ask for another fence; that deviation will spoil the cut on anything that rides against it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the comments folks. I'll keep pursuing this.
    It's been sitting unused for a month now. That 1 year warranty is ticking away.

Talk about customer service!
    Grizzly tech support called first thing this morning about my warped replacement fence. Obviously they read this post and took action. They are inspecting and sending another fence out tomorrow morning. And since I haven't used the jointer yet, they will also push the warranty out.

Not to hijack, but what if they couldn't find a flat fence? Does that make this machine unacceptable? Seems like a whole lot of machine for $1200 or so. Would you accept that fence with that machine or would you take your pennies elsewhere? Personally, if Grizzly couldn't deal with it, I would break out some plate glass and sandpaper and make it flat.

I'm sure Grizzly can deal with this. If they can make a flat bed, they can make a flat fence. They can send one through a blanchard grinder if needed. Plenty of machine shops in the states...
    I did fire it up today to face-plane some QSWO. It's all I hoped for. Quiet, smooth and flat.

I totally agree that they should send you another.. Really glad to see you being so decent about it.. No drama, no crazy stuff.. Its the way it should be ..

A new fence arrived today. It's flat, mounted, setup, and ready to go.
    Ironically, my first project is joining some 8/4 Vermont Maple for a Roubo bench.
    Chris

I hope the machine will now meet your expectations, I didn't know what to expect after they they quickly and politely sent out a heavy and expensive and DEFECTIVE replacement.

Pat on the back to Griz CS. I have always received satisfaction when dealing with them in my past.

Mel,

Labor to inspect every part and every machine is expensive. I don't know of any company today in the price range of Grizzly that inspects every machine and every part they ship. Grizzly has based their business model and plan with that in mind. While there are cases like this where there is the pain of waiting until you get a good part, the same type jointer from PM would be a LOT more expensive. You don't even want to price it from a US or Canadian company. That is the chance you take when you buy from Grizzly and other similar companies.

I have 2 Grizzly machines (a G0490X jointer and a sander) in my shop, a Delta, a PM, 3 Jet tools, a Ridgid, a General International, an Oneida, a Mini-Max and others.

Contrary to the stories told at other websites, nobody at SMC is on the Grizzly payroll. I thought I'd get that disclaimer in before I say it. Grizzly tools can be a lot bang for the buck!

I adore my G0490X! I will be using shortly to joint some walnut after I finish eating supper.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Christopher,

You should probably check all the set screws that hold the pulleys to the motor shaft and the cutterhead.

They are notorious for working their way loose early in their careers. I used a little Loctite Blue small thread removeable thread lock, removed the set screws, applied the Loctite and then reinstalled and tightened them.

Enjoy your new machine!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....