Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Milling - why can't you plane the first board face?

I'm a little confused on using a plywood "filler" when jointing a board wider than your jointer.My jointer takes a VERY minimal cut of approx 1/32-1/16". Where do you find plywood that thin?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    1.5 year old thread mind you....

Doug - I think you misread my post. You joint one side partially, plane the other side with a plywood filler, flip and plane the remaining part of the board that you didn't joint. Pick whatever grain direction you want every time.

I wouldn't do a 12" board on a 6" jointer, it's pushing it on an 8" but I've done it.
    I think I understood your post but perhaps I didn't explain my question clearly. As you said you joint part of one side and then plane the other side using a plywood filler under the jointed part so the unjointed part doesn't touch the planer bed. If the unjointed part is only 2" and the jointed part is 6" the rollers won't force the unsupported 2" down and tip the board and you get a flat 8" top out of the planter. If the unjointed and thus unsupported part is too wide (say 6") the rollers may force it down and tip the board and mess things up. I was wondering if hot melt gluing the board to the plywood would prevent this. My guess is no and the solution would be a planer sled.