Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cottonwood Jar

Thanks everyone for taking time to comment. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    Hi Curt,

I am pretty much on board with Michael. Great wood of course, and the flow from top to bottom is as smooth as can be. I depart from Mike in the knob though. I like the round ball as it blends well with the curves of the jar. The element below the round knob seems out of charater with the rest of the jar, and to my mind, the knob would be better without that element. The lid works very well with the slight inset below the rim.

It must have been a real 'treat' to try and cut cottonwood smooth down in the bottom of the jar. Overall, this piece rocks.
    Dale, thanks for the comment on the knob. I'm glad you looked at it that close. I had mixed feelings about it too. It seems like such a minor thing but I originally put one on with just a round knob and didn't like it that well. It was kind of hard to hold onto and maybe too small. So I made this one that the round knob sits up off the lid. It's easier to hold onto but I'm seeing what you're saying about the rest of it not matching the rest of the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hemphill View Post
    This made me stop lurking and post for the first time... Wow. This post, and others like it, are the reason I went out and bought my old lathe and started putting it together. Joined the local wood-turners club and basically became obsessed!

I still have yet to turn anything on my own lathe, but I've gotten to play at the open shops. I dream of the day I can do things like this. Thank you very much for sharing and keep up the inspiring work!
    Justin, that might be the most rewarding comment I've ever gotten. Thanks so much! Now fire up that lathe and make some shavings. There's nothing like hands on experience and making mistakes to teach you. We all started at ground zero just like you and we're all growing with every new piece we try.

That is a beauty Curt as is the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful jar Curt! That's some awesome cottonwood, love the figure and contrast! Love the form and the inset lid, and I think the knob looks just right.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

So simple but so everything. Utah must be good for woodturners--cottonwood is. Was that a crotch or anything unusual.