Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new toys from Japan

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It was to make the OP feel good. My user bench chisels were $60 per. My koyamaichi dovetail chisels were bought at $50 per about 7 years ago. I think they are GREAT chisels and if my discount bench chisels somehow went dud, the koyamaichi are what I would buy to replace them.

When stu said he was meeting KI long ago, I begged him to carry them. They are the best chisels I know of when you compare price to performance and I don't know of any measure more relevant.
    I guess I was just born under a lucky star! I did quite a bit of business travel to Japan starting in the late 80's and ending in 2002. Through contacts at the Canadian Embassy I was introduced to a local woodworker who told me that Koyamaichi made a very good chisel and were highly thought of by people who made their living working with wood. Over the years I managed to acquire a set of bench chisels (3, 6, 9, 12, 18 and 42mm), 3 dovetail chisels (3, 6, 9mm) and 2 long-handled detail chisels (6, 12mm). The only one still on my wish list (next trip!) is a 9mm fishtail. They are all indeed excellent. Easy to sharpen and they seem to hold an edge forever! My old plastic handled Sandviks are the ones I loan out or let my buddies use when they're in the shop.

That said, my favourite dovetail chisel is a 6mm blue steel Miyanaga. The steel seems noticeably harder than my Koyamaichi chisels but when properly sharpened it makes chopping seem as easy as paring! It was also about 3 times as expensive as the 6mm Koyamaichi.

Best regards,

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Kellison; 05-26-2013 at 6:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Great post. How close to lining up with the flat face does the curved part of the handle bottom come?
    Thanks, Jack! I really appreciate it.

The curved part of the handle winds up being about 1/4" behind the plane of the flat face of the hammer.
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 05-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    giant Cypress — Japanese tool blog, and more

Sigh, I asked about the Japanese hammer.. Then the chat turns to hammers.. Then I go to Wilbur's blog page and read.. now I want a Japanese hammer..

I have Japanese hammer envy now..

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    In addition to shaping a curve to the handle, I added a few thumb notches on the back side (away from the flat face). I do not always position my hand in the same place for striking the chisels but the notches are in the "normal" resting place of my thumb and is a very natural no look way of insuring that I am striking with the correct surface.

Attachment 263120 Attachment 263121
    Sam, nice looking hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Sigh, I asked about the Japanese hammer.. Then the chat turns to hammers.. Then I go to Wilbur's blog page and read.. now I want a Japanese hammer..

I have Japanese hammer envy now..
    Everyone should, they're great hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Wilbur. After my post about the hammer last night I went to your blog and found the post you just linked to. It's on my to do list.
    Paul
    Go for it. It's not that hard to do. It should take a couple of hours at most, even if you haven't done this before. After all, it's a lot like making a mortise and tenon joint, except that the mortise has already been made for you. Most of my time was taken by trying to get the right position for the curve before marking for the tenon.
    giant Cypress — Japanese tool blog, and more

Here's a genno of mine. A couple of years ago I built a handle for a Tenryuu gennou head that I received from So.

[

The article, with some build directions, is at http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...oraGennou.html

For those interested in the Koyamaichi dovetail chisels, I have a few words here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...hiChisels.html

As I mentioned in the article, thanks go to David Charlesworth for alerting me to these about a decade ago, and then to Stu, for helping me fill in the gaps (I had the first custom chisels from Mr Koyama a few years ago).

Lastly, another plug for the Large Ryuma from Stu, which can be modified ver easily into a superb cutting gauge: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203733-Cutting-gauge-from-a-pig-s-ear

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-28-2013 at 8:19 AM.

My Toys Have Arrived

My new toys from Stu just got delivered to my office! Sweet!

As you can see Stu does not screw around when it comes to packing....

IMG_20130603_124659_379.jpg

The goods... A GyoKucho/Razorsaw Kugihiki as well as a Dozuki with w/ a "mortice/azebeki" tip. Most exciting for me though are the 2 Koyoma-ichi white steel parers I got in 9mm and 18mm. Can't wait to get them honed up and put to use. BTW, there has been a lot of talk about preparing Japanese chisels lately, but that was specifically in regard to a mistreated chisel. If these were western chisels I would just flatten/polish the area right behind the edge. BUT for these should I work the whole back or just the area near the edge. I don't want to unnecessarily shrink the hollow, but I also encountered a japanese chisel once that had been worked so hard just behind the edge that a ridge had been created between the polished are and the unworked area. I've never had that happen on a western chisel. Is that "ridge" something that is more likely to happen on one of these because the hollow decreases the amount of steel being worked? Or was that ridge in the one chisel I encountered just the result of it being worked WAY to hard?

What say you Dave, Stan, Stu, Wilber, et. al.? Is there anything special I need to keep in mind when preparing these that is different than if I working up the back of a western chisel? Does the fact that they are paring chisels change the way you'd prepare them as well?

IMG_20130603_132116_084.jpg IMG_20130603_125627_757.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-03-2013 at 1:41 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Focus your finger pressure near the bevel so you don't grind away a bunch of the ura. Use your second hand to keep the chisels from flopping around while you flatten the back (so your finger pressure can control where the metal is removed). Don't let the blade creep half on a stone and half off, or you'll quickly grind into the sides of the ura since there isn't much metal there on the surface. It's either just a little on or all on the stone (if the ura happens to be dead nuts flat all the way to the handle with nothing interfering on the stone - beware of the handle or back of the ura being below everything else, that will relegate you to working only half an inch or so on the stone).

That's pretty much it. KI does a good job of keeping the back pretty close to flat, so you probably won't find much work to do. If you find you can get the whole back on the stone, that's a bonus if you like to do that, esp. on a long handled chisel, but still rely on fingure pressure to focus where the work should be done.

That's a long winded way of saying don't grind down the back in the middle of the chisel by accident because you've allowed it to scrape on the edge of a stone.

They're pretty straight forward and they grease right through the wood. You'll love them.

Thanks Dave. I'll need to get home and put one of my western chisels on a stone to see how this is different from what I normally do. I think, that while I typically apply the most pressure with my left hand holding down the tip I still use my right hand (the one closer to the handle)to apply some pressure and also just to help with the back and forth motion. Sounds like with these I really want to leave the right hand out of the mix and just use it to support the handle.

I do do the on and off the stone back and forth thing sometimes when preparing western chisels to deliberately work the inside of the back more create a slight concavity down the length of the chisel but TOTALLY see how that would be a no no for a japanese chisel.

I think I'll start by trying to work the whole back...if they're almost flat anyway, might as well try and keep them that way. My finish stone will quickly show how far off they are. As far as fitting the whole blade on the stone, is there any reason not to hold the blade to it run down the length of the stone and just do short side to side motions across the width? What about back and forth motions with motions with the whole back on the stone? The handles are canted up just enough that I could get a pretty good motion moving forward and back and still keep the whole back in contact with the stone.

The hollows on these things are incredible by the way...the back is almost entirely hollow. Pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-03-2013 at 2:02 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Just hold it perpendicular to the stone's length (like you normally would) and work it the length of the stone. Don't worry about the stones ends, it'll be too much fiddling and the whole process will probably be over quickly.

Your second hand will definitely still have to hold it up with the long handle, just don't let it rotate/lift the chisel on the surface and create extra work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Just hold it perpendicular to the stone's length (like you normally would) and work it the length of the stone. Don't worry about the stones ends, it'll be too much fiddling and the whole process will probably be over quickly.

Your second hand will definitely still have to hold it up with the long handle, just don't let it rotate/lift the chisel on the surface and create extra work for you.
    Cool. Simple enough....I'm probably overthinking it. Sounds like if I do what normal and just pay a little extra attention to pressure and motion all will be well. Thanks Dave.

I have a feeling I'm REALLY going to like these!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-03-2013 at 2:22 PM.

Almost forgot. If the narrow one seems tippy or like it wants to roll, work it on the diagonal a little. That'll keep you from giving in to the temptation to work it in and out of the stone or over an edge.

Chris you will def like your new chisels. I'm a bit envious of all the TFJ orders. I will need to make one right off here for a couple stones. The prices are just stupid low right now and I must take advantage of it. It starts to become a problem as I start adding things to the order to make shipping seem worth it and before I know it I'm spending much more than I should be.

Flattening the back is not going to be hard, I assume. I have had trouble with one of KI's wide chisels that took a bit of work to get done, but the blade is over a 1.5". Your chisels should def be a bit nicer to get to where they need to be. As Dave pointed out, the biggest thing to look out for if you work the whole back is getting up into the tapered conical part which would def cause an issue. But this is no different than any other chisel with a socket. You'll figure it out.

I hear ya Tony, its hard not to keep ordering from Stu when things are so low...It was really hard not to put 3 or 4 chisels in the cart when I ordered mine (and I keep looking at the prices on a daily basis and having to resist throwing a 24mm or 30mm parer in there too). These first world problem are tough sometimes...

Did you decide what stones to get? Sigma 1200? What else you throwing in the cart?

Yeah the flattening should be easy...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to do something that would be fine on a western chisel but mess up Japanese chisel. As always, Dave did a good job explaining what to do, what not to do, what matters, and what doesn't.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-03-2013 at 5:48 PM.