Thread: Walnut lidded jar

Walnut lidded jar

This is a walnut lidded jar. It's got quite a bit of Mike Mahoney influence in the form as I love the lidded canisters he makes. It's from a black walnut limb with a little curly figure and some sapwood, pith down the middle. The ring is cut about 3/16" deep and the inlay is small oak sticks glued in endgrain with coffee as a filler between them. The knob on the limb is also oak (the local scrub oak). It's about 8" tall to the top of the knob, 4 3/4 diameter at the belly. Sides are plenty chunky to allow for the inlay but it will still hold a day or so worth of peanut M&Ms.
    Walnut lidded jar 1.jpgWalnut lidded jar 2.jpgWalnut lidded jar 3.jpg

Curt, good looking jar. Did you remove the bark off the sticks, or is it still on? I getting ready to do one like that with turned Agarita sticks....... Jerry (in Tucson)

3. Curt, that's really a good looking jar, I love your embellishment with the oak sticks and how the sapwood shadows up into the jar. Everything is 1st class.

very nice, great form

Can't be anything wrong with a form that will hold a days worth of M&M's. Like the design.

Now that's really something to look at. I think you hit a home run with this,the shape the lid and the detail around the top portion just makes a beautiful piece.Really nice work Curt.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.