Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flame Polish Video

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries

Flame Polish Video

Want to see how to Flame Polish your Acrylic. Watch this video, makes it look so easy..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqDir...yer_detailpage Ron
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

If you have a proper flame polisher (the Hydrogen/O2 ones) it *is* dead easy , takes about 5-10 minutes of practice and maybe a few messed up pieces to get the hang of it.
    The polisher he uses is not the right one , its too gross a flame and it wont get to the temps a real flame polisher will , making it a lot more difficult and far less precise....
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-25-2013 at 3:42 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Hi Rodney,
    We have been trying to learn how to flame polish . . . by chance is this what is called MAPP Gas here in the US??

your post are greatly appreciated!

Vicki

You need one of these or equivalent to polish properly (google chinese flame polishers)
    The flame gets much hotter than those gas type torches and you need a thin flame.
    Free-Shipment-FP-101-800W-Micro-Oxy-hydrogen-font-b-Acrylic-b-font-font-b-Flame.jpg
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I agree with Rodney, the flame on the mapp gas burns way too hot, you will get a lot of distortion and a very high possibility of crazing if it comes anywhere near alcohol. Plus he was not very safety cautious creating his work and I'm surprised he never got burnt. The flame polishers like the one above are worth the money if you do a lot of acrylic work. The tiny flame gives a really nice finish and with practice very little distortion even on the very thin acrylic.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks a bunch for sharing the info . . . we will look into this and see what we can do to improve! Vicki

Vicki

Here's an old thread which tells about a group purchase made by an SMC group. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sher-Group-Buy
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Mike,
    Yes I did read this long ago, when I first came upon the Creek. I really didn't see much about what the group thought about its application and if it was worth the $$

I bump the thread with a question . . . so I await some useful responses.

Thanks again,
    Vicki

Blog Entries
    If anyone decides to do another group buy on the generators, I'm in. I unintentionally traded mine for another item, but I'd like the use of it again.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

10. I would be interested as well if a group buy is looked at.

Mark Maslonkowski

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Rivrud View Post
    Hi Rodney,
    We have been trying to learn how to flame polish . . . by chance is this what is called MAPP Gas here in the US??

your post are greatly appreciated!

Vicki
    You can get mapp gas just about anywhere they sell the propane torch tanks. Mapp is in a yellow cylinder.. Mapp is too hot for a decent job, if you don't have, or can't get, or afford a hydrogen/oxygen torch, a small Ronson torch and the butane tanks they use work very well for clearing acrylic. As a matter of fact, you can usually move the flame up the piece and watch the acrylic clear as it moves.. 5-10 min. of practice is all it takes. It's been working well for me for over 40 years.. I Used to make a lot of underwater camera housings and this is what we always used to clear the edges.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Have always used standard bottled gas for plumbing with a quick light tip since 1985. Not sophisticated, expensive or elite but it works well. Did a lot of acrylic fabrication back then and the tricks of the trade have stayed with me.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Thanks Bill, I learn something new almost everyday . . . so we are experimenting with what you have suggested.
    Can't see buying a swanky item if something simple will do.

Vicki

Here is a link to more sophisticated equipment -- and more expensive. http://store.cyberweld.com/smlitoou....little%20torch
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

There are videos of people polishing acrylic with several different gases and getting good results. There is one woman using oxygen and hydrogen cylinders with a micro torch. Some use oxygen and acetylene some use propane and some mapp. And of course the water and alcohol method.
    I see where Tap Plastics is using mapp. Back and forth about one is to hot and one is not hot enough.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s