Laser Cut Kerf Gauge

Pretty cool:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:84621

l8r,

Jimmy
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

I guess cutting out a 1" square and then measuring it is too simple...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I guess cutting out a 1" square and then measuring it is too simple...
    Description

Measure the kerf of a laser cutter without a caliper!

It's not simple if you don't have a way to measure it... I have a couple of calipers but not everyone does.

Nice idea. Of course it also depends on whether your laser cuts a perfectly 1" square , tho I suppose if you make the kerf gauge with the same laser , it should be accurate...
    IMO the 2 essential tools anyone with a laser that needs any measure of accuracy should have is a vernier and a printers loupe...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Nice idea. Of course it also depends on whether your laser cuts a perfectly 1" square...
    That's actually one of the first things you want to determine: whether a 1" square (in Corel coordinates) cuts to the same size in both dimensions.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I had a job where the customer wanted a pattern cut with a 0.016" slot that is 3/16" deep in cast acrylic. I had to offset the first cut by .004" on both sides to get the width right. I couldn't find my measuring microscope so I wound up using feeler gages to set up the parameters.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

In my opinion it is unwise to run a job where the dimensions of the part are critical and there isn't a means to measure it. As mentioned before, the kerf isn't the only variable. Calipers should be in every toolbox.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.