Thread: Rootbeer Burst Flame Top Super Strat

Rootbeer Burst Flame Top Super Strat

Made from basswood back with a bookmatched flame maple top. Two piece flame maple neck, 2-way truss rod, vintage style tuners and hardtail bridge. Seymour Duncan pickups and Super Strat wiring. The 3 on/off/on switches allow for some 23 different combinations...I forget exactly. The switch by the bridge is HB/off/SC and the other 2 are on/off/phase reverse of the single coils.

The burst was done with nitro lacquer and Transtint with EM6000 top coats.

Peace,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

That's very nice, Mike. I love the burst. How did you do the top? Is that a thick piece carved or is it a drop top? Looks like a drop top to me. How thick is the maple? Did you iron it down? Bag it?

Thanks John!

It's a drop top. .020" veneer that edge glued for the bookmatch and vacuum bagged.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Love the color, Mark! Which Transtint?
    Last edited by Sam Chambers; 07-05-2013 at 2:00 PM.
    Sam/Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers View Post
    Love the color, Mark! Which Transtint?
    Thanks Sam. It was sprayed with Vintage Amber and then the burst was done with Tobacco Brown.

Here's a shot before clear coats that shows the color in a different light.

After clear coats...

And after buffing...

Last edited by Mark Crenshaw; 07-05-2013 at 2:24 PM.

Thanks, Mark. That's the look I'm going after for my first build, though not with the curly maple veneer. Looks awesome in the sunlight!
    Sam/Atlanta

Very nice work and colour choice! I'm a sucker for a burst top. I too have use veneer on contoured tops and it is a great way to get top notch figure and not waste highly figured stock wher it is not needed. You also keep a perfectly co-planer bookmatch.

Wow! Love it!