Thread: Shop-Made Bandsaw Base

Shop-Made Bandsaw Base

Hey all,

Just thought I'd throw up some pictures of my latest effort to make my shop completely mobile. My Grizzly G0555 came with a base, of course, but it wasn't mobile. I thought of just replacing the leveling feet with some post-casters, but that would have raised the table the table up an additional 3-4" (and Im not a tall guy).

So I built a nice, hefty base cabinet to go underneath. It pushes around very nicely on the SES double locking casters, and gives me lots of additional storage room. I'm also very surprised by how much less vibration there is, and how much quieter the unit is overall.

Hmm, Im running out of things in my shop to put wheels on...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good job. I've done similar with bandsaw, drum sander and drill press. Factory bases seem to give up a lot of storage space as well as mobility. And being .... vertically challenged lowering work surfaces is sometimes desireable.

Blog Entries
    This idea only works if you have a nice smooth floor: I screwed the CI base to a piece of 1-1/8" MDF and added four felt furniture pads at the corners. Slides easily, but not too easily, and is very stable. I used up a whole package of felt tabs in my shop for those things that didn't already have casters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a pretty slick idea, Ole! I wish I had those nice floors, I dont think sliding pads would work to well on my concrete.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]