Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta 18-36 Sander Owners.....A Must Read

Delta engineers: “Let’s make the gears out of PLASTIC, and not offer replacements parts so people have to buy another machine! Bwahaha!!”

I read somewhere in the last year or so, that the new owners of Delta ( a Taiwan company) is more dedicated to engineering for higher quality products and better customer service. Let's hope so, they've got a tall hill to climb.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Delta and Craftsman are famous for obsolete proprietary parts. I had to junk a $300 router because Craftsman no longer has the plastic brush holders that melt after extended use. I'm glad you were able to save your drum sander.

No more Delta in this shop. I had their tried and true 14" bandsaw. I needed a pair a bearings for the upper wheel. I live in metropolitan Los Angeles. I called the nearest service center which said they had the pair of bearings. After driving 80 miles one way, they informed me that they had only one bearing and will back order the other. That was in 2015. I am still waiting for the bearing. Fortunately, only one of the upper bearings had seized. They did offer to remove the seized bearing and press in the new one. It took less than five minutes. I mistakenly assumed that this was their way of apologizing. My mistake. They charged me $35 to replace the bearing.

5. I had the Delta wet dry grinder years ago. Twice, a white plastic gear broke. The 2nd time it broke, I tossed the Grinder in the garbage can.

Have you had any further problems with a PLASTIC miter gear? I am ordering the same product now.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have frequently seen plastic gears used as a "known failure" point. Basically if there's a significant jam, SOMETHING must take the load, so they deliberately add plastic gears so something more expensive doesn't explode. Not providing replacements is just plain silly!

I am in the middle of this repair now. I was surprised to find my nylon gears in pretty good shape. They had become slightly too far apart and the corner lift assemblies too gummed up. Since I already purchased gears I will replace them anyway. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubed the other parts, and have replaced the pin bearings in the lift assemblies. My hope it that it can be carefully used for another 12 years.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Just in case future readers need then info.Miter Gear, 16 DP, 20 PA, 1:1 R, 32 Teeth

Bill D

Thanks for popping this bsck up, although you have my condolences. I have one as well. But it's had such light use it doesn't yet have a problem ... yet. I just need to remember... when ... what I'll need is here somewhere.