Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A steel string guitar I made

Beautiful George. How many guitars have you made? What other stringed instruments have you made?.

I have not kept count of the number of guitars,which I should have. I've been building since 1954. Before getting into the museum,I built mostly classical guitars,flamenco guitars(made 1 for Sabicas,World's best flamenco guitarist, in 1967),and started making steel string acoustic guitars about

1965. I also made several banjos and mandolins. I had begun to make lutes about 1967,but the instrument that landed me the job was an Italian style harpsichord. Williamsburg wanted a harpsichord for their music teacher's shop which was opening soon.

As Instrument maker,I had to make 18th.C. style instruments,including lutes,harpsichords,spinet harpsichords,violins,18th.C. style guitars the size of the inlaid one pictured a few posts back,and also made citterns,English guitars(a type of late cittern),viola daGambas,even an orpharion(which you'll have to Google!) I continued to make modern acoustic guitars of all types on the side.

My sincere compliments, George. The bass is just dark enough to carry very well. But keep a nice balanced tone. I would guess those cost a pretty penny.

All I can hope for, George, is that just one thing I've made would approach the skill you display with everything you have.

To tell the truth,I can make money a lot easier and more quickly doing little machining jobs and mechanical antique repairs. Glad you all enjoyed the guitar.

Lovely and humbling. If I wore a hat it would be tipped to you George.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I embedded the video. Very nice, George!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Wonderful guitar..wish I could play. After watching the video a bunch if Ian Tyson videos came up. He was one of my heroes when I was younger and into the horses. Got a plastic knee and bad wrist joints now...but it was fun.