Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Adobe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    2 things....

1) perpetual licenses are a myth.... one day your machine quits running and that old version you have needs updated for a new computer.

2) adobe is getting ready to release a $10.00 photoshop only version, and also a " photographers " suite for $19.99

That being said, we are on the $79.99 per seat plan and have 3 seats. We get collaboration tools and 100 gigs of online storage.

I seriously can't imagine going back...
    I just got off Chat at Adobe.... They are not a where of 2 versions. $10 pricing is upgrade from CS6 for the first year then $20 amonth
    If you have a previous version then first year pricing is $20 a month.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I'm with you Chuck, I dislike having to upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? The "cloud" is just a scam to get my info, which I will not give up voluntarily and certainly not pay for them to take it. They can already take anything off the internet that I've posted anywhere, I don't need to give them more.
    I agree with you completely Dee. I upgrade when I WANT to upgrade, not when they FORCE me to upgrade. I will never put any of my files in "the cloud", and will NEVER use a software that I have to pay for continually. I have software that I've purchased years ago, works just fine, no need for anything else. Under this new scam, I could not use it unless I paid for it continually. And there is always a choice, look at microsoft, people did not buy their buggy junk vista os and they were forced to continue to support xp until win7 came out.

I still have software (music recording programs) that run on win98, YES win98, VERY successfully, and can do everything that I need to on them. And I still use ms office 2003, and don't need anything else. Does everything I would ever need to do.
    Last edited by George Brown; 05-10-2013 at 4:39 PM.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    I agree with you completely Dee. I upgrade when I WANT to upgrade, not when they FORCE me to upgrade.
    No one's forcing you to upgrade anything. Buying the subscription gives you the ABILITY to upgrade, it doesn't do anything automatically. If you like CS6, when the next version comes out, you'll get the little notification that upgrades are available, and that's all. If you click it, you'll upgrade. If you don't click it, you don't upgrade. It's not that complicated, or automatic. No one's writing files to your computer without your consent, or updating things without your input. It's JUST like having the disc. It's installed by YOU, LOCALLY, not in the cloud.

In all fairness, those that are running CS3 or 2, or whatever, you're not their target market anyway. If you only upgrade your software every 10 years, why should Adobe cater to that, verses those that are updating every cycle? I don't think they'll miss your sales when you walk away because you're not buying anything from them anyway.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 05-10-2013 at 6:17 PM.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Sooo now they are going to have 2 versions of PS?
    There are currently 3 versions:

- Elements
    - Standard
    - Extended (adds Matlab integration &c)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I agree. I hate to see it, but it's the way of the future and there's no way to stop it.
    I'll bet there is . Let a competitor(if there is one) not follow that path and let a bunch of Adobe's customers leave for that competitor's product. Adobe will reverse themselves in less time than it took Microsoft to 'rethink' the interface/start button issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'll bet there is . Let a competitor(if there is one) not follow that path and let a bunch of Adobe's customers leave for that competitor's product. Adobe will reverse themselves in less time than it took Microsoft to 'rethink' the interface/start button issue.
    Call me when that happens. There is little to no competition on their product lines. They are the industry leaders and what you'll see, more than likely, is everyone else following this lead instead of anyone trying to go against it and gain customers by offering things the "old" way.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

trust me its coming.... you'll see it in june when they release the CC apps.
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

So what's the alternative? Corel? Search the forum and find the Corel X6 service pack thread and see the outrage from people because Corel was going to limit it's use to 3 computers. People on that thread said their never upgrade Corel again.

So no upgrading of Corel any more, no upgrading of Adobe products.

So let's see if I get the correct :

Scratch off the list of Graphic programs to use to run my business :

1) Corel products
    2) Adobe products

Yeah, I think I'll sit this protest out. It's never, ever going to happen. People were outraged at Corel with that service pack and yet, it's still the same. No changes made by Corel.

I'm in business to make money. I have to upgrade to communicate with others in the industry that share files. I see ZERO problems paying someone $50 a month for the package that Adobe is offering. Let's be clear, it's not $50 a month for Photoshop. It's $50 a month for Photoshop,Illustrator, InDesign (which is AWESOME on laser files), Premiere (to make company videos to promote yourself), Flash, Edge, Business Catalyst (which allows you to create online stores really easy), Muse (which makes creating websites super easy), Dreamweaver, Acrobat (for making nice, electronic order forms for your customers), and about 10 more products. How that's a rip off for $50 a month, to run my business is a head scratcher to me.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    There are currently 3 versions:

- Elements
    - Standard
    - Extended (adds Matlab integration &c)
    Right now..... after talking with Adobe there will only be one version of PS by subscription, they will still be selling CS6 as a stand alone until further notice.
    Elements and the Extended version will not be available by subscription....
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

I am not in favor of Adobe's pricing, I wish they included an hourly package. What I do see is this to be a bigger threat to Corel.

Many of us use Corel because of our lasers, but now lasers are working with more programs. So if I run Adobe PS and Corel, upgrades cost
    about $400 total every two or three years per computer. (computers that are being used at the same time) sooo.... it may be worthg while
    to consider the Adobe package as much more software is included...... So if I would drop Corel and start using IA, then I would have a multitude
    of other programs to use, as well as the latest and greatest.

If I work say 5 days a week 52 weeks a year and do, lets just say 10 jobs a day ( really I do much more than that but, wanted to keep it on the low side),
    2,600 a year.... the the effective cost would be about $.23 per job.
    Sooooooo realistically it does make it workable, it just cost me more as now it is a consumable instead of a fixed amount (except for upgrades when desired)
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

[QUOTE=Martin Boekers;2108117]

Many of us use Corel because of our lasers, but now lasers are working with more programs. So if I run Adobe PS and Corel, upgrades cost
    about $400 total every two or three years per computer. /QUOTE]

I'm just curious as to why you HAVE to upgrade every two years.
    If it worked two years ago, it should work now. and if you're not a service
    bureau or work through one, your files can be saved in standard formats
    anyway. I understand upgrades often simplify things you already do. But
    if you already do them, is it worth the upgrade to you?

I kept up with Photoshop upgrades when I was doing editing and retouching
    for photographers in the NYC area, but even then I understood that if I
    were given the raw files, I didn't need the upgrades myself. I only needed
    them for files produced by other people who already had the newer versions.
    If I had my own Linotype Hell drum scanner, I'd have stayed on version 3 or 4
    and would have done just fine. Output to TIFF, nobody would have known the
    difference.
    My personal copy was version 7 and while I can't do a few things like 3D files,
    I don't miss not getting the upgrades because they're things I likely wouldn't
    take advantage of anyway. And I can still do everything I need to do. There might
    not be a 'one-touch' button for it, but I have always found those to be rather
    ham-fisted tools anyway.

I run X4 have found no real need to upgrade as yet, but Corel seems to check each time I start it..Sometimes it pops up a window offering me a upgrade discount, sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it takes 30-45 seconds to open, and can be a real pain when your trying to get stuff done. I have found if I unplug my usb internet adaptor, Corel comes right up every time. I don't know if it's stalling on purpose, or having a slow time loading whatever spy check it needs at the time, but I don't think my shiny new tinfoil hat is the problem.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill, the reason I uprade from time to time (not every one, I was on Corel 12 before I upgrade to X5)
    it really is about efficiency. The quicker and more easily I can get something finished the less the
    job cost me to produce. In Adobe CS6 part of the reason for upgrading was I was told (by Adobe) that
    upgrades will only go back to 3 versions, if I wait until "7" I would have to buy a full version. I know now
    that was pretty much a lie!

In Corel the "virtual segment tool" made it worth while for that alone. Could I achieve the same thing with
    weld, intersect etc... yes but in an instant I get what I need with "VST" heck the smart fill is amazing.

On PS, the filters such as sharpen have a better quality, masking is quicker. he brushes you pick the size and
    edge from a flyout instead of creating a new brush. This is a great help with using various resolutions.

So, If an upgrade saves me time I feel it is worth the investment. Will I consider "Cloud" yes will I subscribe...????
    I have to figure out if It will make me more efficient enough to justify the cost. Upgrades for PS cost about $175.00
    every 3 years.....PS CC will cost me $720 every 3 years.....
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

I migrated to PS from MacPaint when it first came out and know the version I use (CS3) like the back of my hand. Let's face it, Photoshop evolved to it's peak of usefulness many versions ago and almost all the new features are mainly fluff or niche. It did the same job then as it does now. I mean, really, how many new features are essential to doing everyday, business related tasks? We adjust the color, do some sharpening, blur here and there, clone, touch up a bit, composite, etc... Sure, some tasks become easier as the program evolves but we have to compare that to how adept we are at using our current version. For example, if I can do something with 3 key commands that are second nature to me and takes about a second and a half, why do I need a button that does the same thing with one click? The small learning curve to use the button probably isn't worth the time when my process gets the job done. Time is money and I personally don't have time to keep learning new ways to do what I already know how to do. That said, in my opinion, the move to subscription based software is all about increasing profit.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Doug, CS3 was a big jump from earlier ones. one issue here is a have 4 others on my staff that aren't so PS capable. I keep them on the basics,
    Their computers are on 7, I have CS6, For the money it cost for the upgrade it was worth it to me, even for a few functions.

Adobe has always been bottom line $$$
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,