Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe

Scott,

looks like we are in the same page here, I also went cloud and I love it, I'm always hungry of new features I love features that make my work easier and better.

I see that here are some misconceptions/misinformation, the 50.00 (regular price) a month is for the whole CC suite, but if you go with just Photoshop or any other single program the price I believe is 20.00 a month, but there is going to be promotional prices for current users (not cloud versions) for as low as 10.00 a month for a single program here Scott Kelby have some Q&A that help understanding this CC thing.

Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I know people like to slag MS, but they seem to be able to roll out updates in a timely, efficient manner without charging their customers a "subscription fee". Ditto for Corel and Intuit, to name two others. Explain to me again why Adobe can't?
    Might want to recheck that. It's exactly where MS office is going as I type.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Salcedo View Post
    Scott,

looks like we are in the same page here, I also went cloud and I love it, I'm always hungry of new features I love features that make my work easier and better.

I see that here are some misconceptions/misinformation, the 50.00 (regular price) a month is for the whole CC suite, but if you go with just Photoshop or any other single program the price I believe is 20.00 a month, but there is going to be promotional prices for current users (not cloud versions) for as low as 10.00 a month for a single program here Scott Kelby have some Q&A that help understanding this CC thing.

Ruben
    You are right about specific pricing, but the way I understand it for 1 application is if you have CS3 or later you get 1 year at the discounted rate ($10)
    after that it is $20 a month. I still am not sure if you don't use Adobe right now if you have to "buy" in or not. It also hasn't been addressed if you use CS6
    will that be the same application in "Cloud" or when this is officially launched in June will it be effectively CS7 even though the name will change?

Last year I upgraded to CS6 ($179.00.) To get one year of PS alone (Reg Pricing) will cost $240.00
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You do NOT have to be connected to the internet to use your applications.
    While you don't have to maintain a constant connection, you will have to connect occasionally for the software to continue working.

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?
    No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.
    You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.
    (Source)
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Erickson View Post
    While you don't have to maintain a constant connection, you will have to connect occasionally for the software to continue working.

(Source)
    It already does that with your boxed version as well. Adobe has been validating software for years now. That's no different than what already existed before the cloud version.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Might want to recheck that. It's exactly where MS office is going as I type.
    I was thinking more in terms of Windows, but point taken. The idea that the subscription model makes it easier to do updates just doesn't hold water though. The whole thing sounds more like a way to force people to upgrade to the latest version as soon as it's released whether they want to or not, and I seriously doubt their corporate customer base will put up with that.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

As right now, people that don't own CS6 and want to upgrade to it without going cloud they still can do it, is going to be support it for fixing bugs security etc. but no more new features will be available, well until this new CC version it was the same version as in the cloud with exceptions of new features they have been adding that no non cloud users have them, there won't be any CS7 only CC, also there is not going to be Standard and Extended versions any more they all are going to be like the Extended versions, also you have to understand that there is not such a thing as application in the cloud, you still need to download the program and installed it on your desktop as ever has been, the cloud benefit is only to sync files and with the new version also settings between computers you use Photoshop along with some applications for phones and tablets oh, and also to host websites etc, Here is going to be a live show at 4:00 pm east time today, they will explain all the details of this change.

It's exactly where MS office is going as I type.
    You type too fast: http://www.zdnet.com/subscription-on...ft-7000015063/
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

It's the same thing as SkyDrive by Microsoft (the cloud part of this). Oddly, I haven't seen a single thread on how no one wanted to go to the SkyDrive. It's the exact same thing. MS Office strongly encourages the use of the sky drive.

Isn't Office 365 from Microsoft the same thing? You have to pay monthly fees and it is all shared data across platforms as well.

The difference is, Adobe is discontinuing the perpetually-licensed version --- you can still buy Office 2013, and they haven't announced that there won't be an Office 2015.

Essentially, Adobe has declared that for every instance of their graphic design software they want ~$50 / month for as long as it's used --- a return to the mainframe pricing model personal computers released users from.

I can't believe the industry is taking this --- 1984 was supposed to be a cautionary tale, not a planning guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    the subscription model ... sounds more like a way to force people to upgrade to the latest version as soon as it's released whether they want to or not, and I seriously doubt their corporate customer base will put up with that.
    Actually, more to the point, it's a way to force customers to pay and keep paying on a regular basis, and to deny continued use of the software should people decide not to keep paying.

Despite the typical corporate predilection for configuration management of company computer assets, many corporate customers may actually like this scheme because it avoids that large up-front license fee in favor of "small monthly pay-as-you-go" payments, regardless of how much more expensive it actually is in the long run.

I am one of the customer base who prefers stability and consistency in my software with only very occasional changes for very specific, significant upgrades, and the ability to opt out of additional upgrade expense while retaining the perpetual right and ability to use the software I paid for. Not a fan of the lease/subscription model in cases like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    Despite the typical corporate predilection for configuration management of company computer assets, many corporate customers may actually like this scheme because it avoids that large up-front license fee in favor of "small monthly pay-as-you-go" payments, regardless of how much more expensive it actually is in the long run.

I am one of the customer base who prefers stability and consistency in my software with only very occasional changes for very specific, significant upgrades, and the ability to opt out of additional upgrade expense while retaining the perpetual right and ability to use the software I paid for. Not a fan of the lease/subscription model in cases like this...
    The thing is, the corporate customer base I referred to works the same way: it's very rare for them to jump on a new version of Windows or Office when it first comes out. They tend to phase in slowly, deploying the "new" version (or more typically, the first 'service pack' update of it) to non-mission-critical areas before committing to it company-wide. That's even before considering any secure users who could not be allowed to access servers outside the company firewall for any necessary periodic validation.

There is a Poll at dpreview.com (camera site) re Adobes new policy
    What is telling is that only 5% of the ppl that responded to the poll said it would work for them...
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05...hotoshop-users
    As a software co , I would be very concerned at those results..

Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-09-2013 at 5:12 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

The bottom line for me is the huge cost increase versus owning your own software. I will be very slow in switching to a subscription model as long as alternatives are available.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7