Thread: My new lathe

My new lathe

Ain't she cute! Emco Maximat Super 11, 11" swing 24" between centers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

She sure is. I'm officially jealous.

Sweet! She doesn't look very old.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't know her age, but I do know she's a lot younger than the 1928 South Bend that I sold to raise the money. I think they stopped making this model in the 80's. Probably 25 years old or so, but hardly used, almost like new. She came out of a trade school in Road Island.
    The Plane Anarchist

I'm a bit jealous myself, thats a great looking lathe. In fact it would look even better in my shop if I had the room

Congratulation Leigh!

Those are well made little lathes. About 35 years ago a group I worked in had one of those in the mech-tech area. It has a milling head on it as well. You could pull the compound off and use it as a vertical mill. Not real handy, but it worked well for small parts. Our group built production test equipment for calculator manufacturing (back when a DataMath cost $150).

What is the black post by the tail stock for? Part of a taper attachment?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No milling head with this one. I don't really need it and it seems like it would be too light for any real work.
    Yeah, I guess they have a goofy type of taper attachment and I think the black post is something for it, but the rest is missing. Maybe it will come in handy for something else.
    The Plane Anarchist

Was this machine made in Austria?

Thank you , I am mad as a Hatter

Yeah, made in Austria. These are nicely built precision machines. I've been trying to buy a small lathe since December. I thought I had a Rivett 608 bought but the seller disappeared and stopped communicating once I said I'd pick it up rather than have it shipped, go figure. Then I thought I had one identical to this bought but the eBay seller had second thoughts about selling and backed out, I even agreed to his price! Then three a bit larger (V13) came up for sale and I planned to buy one but before I got my check sent off this one came up. I really wanted a 10-11 swing rather than a 13 so I pulled the trigger on this one. I drove clear to CT to pick it up, I like doing business in person rather than over the phone and shipping. And I also got to stop at a sawmill in PA on the way back!
    The Plane Anarchist

The Emco lathes have a great reputation and this one looks quite nice. It's also a great size. I'm almost as green as the lathe with envy.(grin)

Ron

I'm using it right now to make a couple of custom screws for one of these:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist