Thread: JDS Glass Laser Tape

JDS Glass Laser Tape

There have been a lot of posts about engraving glass lately......and Marty was kind enough to post the link to the JDS YouTube channel.....one of the videos showed a demo of "glass laser tape"........I did a search on here, but I got about 4,000 results........So, has anyone used it? If so, does it work better than the dish soap technique? Does it work like a mask in that you can paint fill the engraving?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

We used wet newspaper before on glass/crystal. The results were acceptable. The results with this tape are still just acceptable, but they are definitely more acceptable. There is a bit less chipping but the big thing is the engraving is definitely a bit more dense in appearance.

As for the color fill, it's likely the mask would work for it but I can't recommend it for that process.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Steve, A certain gentleman we all enjoy viewing his handiwork shared this post a bit ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Material-Tests
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Thanks Mike......I totally missed that thread and it didn't come up for me in Search.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve, here is a video that shows someone using regular masking with a nice effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvV_E82ztk0

I'll have to try this method too.

The JDS tape does help esp. on small text, I haven't tried it with a photo yet. Too many things and not enough time.... \*J*/
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Thanks Martin......lousy video but nice results. Any idea what kind of paper masking he was using or where to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Thanks Martin......lousy video but nice results. Any idea what kind of paper masking he was using or where to get it?
    I believe that is the standard tape we all use. I think he said he bought it from LaserBits, but JDS and most suppliers handle the tape.

Worth a shot. I am not sure but I think the adhesive on the paper (JDS and other Masking) may have something to do with it.
    Maybe it melts from the laser and adheres to the "shards" giving it a smoother finish. Just a theory.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!