Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General "Stonewall" Jackson Prayer Tree Chess Set

General "Stonewall" Jackson Prayer Tree Chess Set

I've had in mind for some time to try making a chess set, finally got around to it.

All visible wood of this chess set is made from the wood of the "stonewall" Jackson Prayer Tree (350 +/- year old white oak).

The dark pieces and the dark squares and trim on the board were colored using ammonia fuming. “Fuming” is a method of coloring wood by exposing it to ammonia fumes. The wood and ammonia are sealed into a fuming chamber where the concentrated fumes react with the tannin in the wood and causes it to turn a rich brown to almost black.

I made a home built duplicator and used a set of templates from PSI to make the pieces. I drilled and taped the blanks with a 3/8" tap and used a bottle stopper chuck to turn the pieces. After finishing each piece I hollowed out the bottom of the taped hole then filled the piece with molten lead for weight. I then put felt on the bottom of each piece. The pieces and the board are finished with thin CA glue.

Thanks for looking, C & C welcomed.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images

well done Dale, personally, i like the castle and rook

Beautiful set Dale and well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very well done, first I've seen, but you have set the bar quite high. Is this for you or for sale at some point?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Stunning work Dale!

You should contact his great grandson to see if he wants to purchase the chess set. He is living in Stonewall Jackson's mansion in Richmond and I understand he is quite wealthy

7. Dale.......as usual, your work is first rate!!! I hope you bring this to the meeting on Saturday........there are going to be lots of ooohs and aaahs, for sure! That should fetch a pretty pricetag as well.........I know Kirk M. makes some sets, but yours looks better to me.......more detail in the pieces.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

WOW!! Dale, this is stellar work!! I really like the ammonia fuming. I was talking to someone about fuming at Fred's demo the other day. I might have to give it another try after seeing your results!!

Beautiful set!
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

10. Quite a lovely piece of woodturning! The results are stunning.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dan - Yes, I will probable sell the set some day.

Keith - Thanks for the tip, I may look into contacting his great grandson.

Nathan - Yes, you and I were discussing ammonia fuming at Fred demo, I can give you info on my process if you want to try it.

Dale

12. That is absolutely stunning! Not only is it superb craftsmanship it is made from wood with a great story... it doesn't get much better than that!

Congratulations on a fantastic job!
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael Tucker; 05-01-2013 at 5:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Winburn View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Dan - Yes, I will probable sell the set some day.
    Keith - Thanks for the tip, I may look into contacting his great grandson.
    Nathan - Yes, you and I were discussing ammonia fuming at Fred demo, I can give you info on my process if you want to try it.
    Dale
    Very very nice Dale. I too would be interested in the ammonia fuming process. Perhaps you could write it up as a tutorial and post it in our library(the "Authors" forum).

"The best things in life are not things."

I've made tons of chess boards but never pieces. This is a great looking set of pieces. There is one thing I would like to offer you and anyone else who ever thinks about making a set. The most common mistake is to make the bases too small. I have a set that is a copy of the original Cook pattern Staunton set and the bases range from 1.25" in diameter (pawns) up to 1.375 (king). This not only looks better but adds a ton of stability to the pieces in play, something that can become a real issue if one plays speed chess! It also allows more room for weight in the bases. The "standard" tournament board has 2.25" squares so there is plenty of "air" between the pieces even with the larger bases. The most difficult piece to make is the knight. Your's is simple but very "clean" and stylized. BTW, a "rook" and a "castle" are the same thing, just different names for the same piece.....
    David DeCristoforo

15. That is absolutely stunning! Not only is it superb craftsmanship it is made from wood with a great story... it doesn't get much better than that!

Congratulations on a fantastic job!
    Mike