Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flourish: Pyro on a Plate

Jim,

Gorgeous work. Very similar pattern to the ones I used years/eons ago for leather work, Al Stohlman era stuff.

Beautiful, wherever it came from.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Jim, I like it as it is now, and personally I don't think that the underside needs any emblishments. What is your preference? You stated that you had no intention of doing any work to it, so, why now do you think it needs the extra work? Is it because your not satisfied with what you have now, or, is it because of what someone else may have said? Please yourself, you can't please everyone?
    Len

Wonderful work! I would like to see the grooves on either side of the pyrography be black. As for the bottom I agree that it would be nice to have something there as well. This pattern is really outstanding!

Thanks again for the compliments. They are encouraging.

This idea was inspired by a small photo of a carved platter that I saw in one of my carving books. See attached photos. I didn't really copy the design so much as I used the idea of a repeating pattern on a plate. The interweaving pattern repeats three times (an odd number seems to look better). Also I tried to incorporate the golden mean into the proportions and divisions of the plate. The pattern itself just grew out of several sketchings and erasures.

image-1040284330.jpg

image-3126673268.jpg

I did carefully burn the edges right down into the bottom edges of the bead. It came out well I think.
    image-2988210904.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

image-1254459193.jpgAnd here is evidence that I actually put thought into this before committing to burn. And that this is something I drew as opposed to copying something out of a book or from a pattern. The second photo shows attempts to draw something for the back side that is in keeping with the front. You may judge for yourself whether any of these do. As will I before I commit.
    image-2658555408.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 05-04-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Beautiful design on the burning, reminds me of the sort of amazing engraving found on high end shotguns and heirloom tools
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Nice work Jim. I've only done a little bit of very basic burning so I can appreciate all the work you've put into this. Keep at them I'd like to see more.

image-1691515253.jpg
    I worked on this for about 12 hrs yesterday. Still need to do some shading and touch up. But the majority of it is done. I did realize that the back took longer because there's approx ten more sq inches.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim, you've done a terrific job! Glad you listened to Cynthia instead of your wife. You should be proud of this fine work.

I just realized I never posted final pictures of this... So I made some better pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain