Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Leeson or a Baldor for a t/s motor?

Would you buy a Leeson or a Baldor for a t/s motor?

Searching around, there are hit and miss topics about which is “better”. From what I’ve read, Baldor is at the top of the list with Leeson a close second.

Reason I’m looking is because the motor on my 80’s craftsman saw has a bad bearing. The guy at the motor shop said the ball bearing was easily replaceable, but the sleeve bearing is what’s getting ready to go and those aren’t. It has a subtle yet annoying vibration that will shake wood and tools from the extension tables. He checked the shaft and it was straight.

Looking around, I can get both in a 1hp, but I can get the Leeson shipped to the house for $200 and the Baldor shipped to the house for $240. I’m all about saving a buck, but would I be doing myself an injustice saving $40?

Both are made in the US and that’s one of the reasons I’m after them.

Thought I'd check in and get ya'll's opinion before I pulled the trigger on one.

Probably a horse apiece in a one hp motor. I'm surprised they are both still made here as both companies now source some smaller motors overseas. Dave

Be careful. Not all Leesons are made in the USA. I'm not sure about Baldor. Did you check here? I put a 2hp Lincoln in my sander and am happy. They are suppose to be made in the USA.
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...c&keyword=MBAD

I made sure that both of these were US made. From what I'd read, both companies make from overseas. Took some diggin and I asked both suppliers where they were made.

I have a 3 HP Baldor on my DC and it has worked well. I have never had a Leeson but I have not heard anything bad about them. I suspect either would serve you well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I would have to ask how often do you use your saw? If it went down would you be in trouble. Do both have the same warranty? I have a 2 hp leeson on my DC and I am very happy with it. I beleive it would suck the chrome off of a bumper. On my table saw though I use a 7.5 hp, and I believe it is a baldor, but I got a great deal on it.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Karl - I'm a hobbyist who likes to get a much time as I can. Usually just the weekends unless I want to squeeze some time in after work.

Either should serve you well. I am a Baldor fan, but as you said Leeson is a close second. I have Baldors.

Either will be fine. I like Baldors and betting resale is better (maybe $40 better but YMMV) with a Baldor.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Looked at them some more...Looks like the Leeson doesn't have thermal overload protection. Probably not a game changer, but now I'm leaning on the Baldor more. Just hate I have to order either and wait
    Last edited by Troy Turner; 04-26-2013 at 9:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have replaced old motors on both my 6x48 belt sander and my 6" jointer with Dayton TEFC 1 hp motors from Grainger, been very happy. But thenmy son worked there and could get the employee discount. To answer your question, Baldor seems to be the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    Looked at them some more...Looks like the Leeson does have thermal overload protection. Probably not a game changer, but now I'm leaning on the Baldor more. Just hate I have to order either and wait
    Troy, if your saw doesn't have thermal overload protection for the motor, you'll need a thermally protected motor.

I presume the original motor does have thermal protection?

Regards, Rod.

Rod - Had to go back and edit my post. Meant to say the Leeson doesn't have the overload protection...

I don't see a switch or anything on the motor now. It's the original 80's motor.

The reality is once you put it on the saw your not going to know the difference. A good quality motor is a good quality motor, and I'd hazard a guess either of those motors will be of better quality than what came on that saw originally. I have a fair amount of motors in my shop and even the cheapest of them gets the job done and pays the bills

So in short which one of two good quality motors would I buy?, well the one I could get easiest and cheapest of course

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    The reality is once you put it on the saw your not going to know the difference. A good quality motor is a good quality motor, and I'd hazard a guess either of those motors will be of better quality than what came on that saw originally. I have a fair amount of motors in my shop and even the cheapest of them gets the job done and pays the bills

So in short which one of two good quality motors would I buy?, well the one I could get easiest and cheapest of course

good luck,
    JeffD
    That's the right answer. When I worked in chem and pharmaceutical processing field, Baldor was considered to be the "cheap" motor. But guess what, they turn for a good long time. For a hobby shop, it's likely to be forever. Same for the Leeson.

I'd start looking on fleabay or craigslist for a 2 or 3 hp, if it will fit. They will come up, and for cheap. With single phase, you need to make sure that it can turn the right way.