Thread: Looking to jump in and lathe question

Looking to jump in and lathe question

I'm wanting to try my hand at turning, mostly spindle work to start and see where that goes. I have an chance to buy a General 160-2 varible speed lathe with a Barracuda 2 chuck for $675. This machine was made in Canada not one of the offshore machines. I have not seen the machine yet, but I was assured that it is in very good condition and runs smoothly. I'm wondering if this would be a good choice to start and if that price is reasonable? All suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you type "General 160-2" into the search function...I found minium 6 hits with answers.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

It seems OK for the $ if in good shape. You probably won't "out grow" it for a good while. You can do a lot on a lathe with a little. I've been turning almost 3 years and still only own a Harbor Freight set ($45 for 8) of tools and 2 Benjamin's Best gouges and no chuck. I bought a $100 lathe to turn some new handles for my flat-work chisels and got intrigued by bowls, but I have use of a larger lathe at work if I have something too big or heavy. It will take you a while to figure out what you like to do. You can get serious with the toy's later. There are more experienced turner's here that will have good advice, I tend to do the "cheap" approach. Turning is fun and messy.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

General is a top quality tool line. Bought a 20" lathe 25 years ago, sold it to a friend and still turning everyday. Hint--replace the belt with a linktype soon.

That is a great machine for spindle work, they are well built and were often used in school shops. The price is reasonable although I would not call it a bargain.

Mine is in the process of it's 2'nd upgrade 1st was 12" to 18".The 2'nd is happening now 3/4hp DC drive change to 2hp VFD AC drive. I love my General 160-18".
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks for the comments. Harry what is involved with going from 12" to 18" ?