Thread: Quick little Acacia hf

Quick little Acacia hf

I got a call from the tree trimmers yesterday, so this morning I dropped off my trailer on the way to work. I went by after work to pick up the trailer and load up the truck, but the trailer wasn't loaded yet so I just loaded up the truck with some acacia.
    One of the pieces was a small limb, so after I sealed the logs and unloaded the truck, I cut off a section of the log and decided to turn a little hf to give to the tree trimmers when I pick up the trailer.

The limb was only about 4 1/2" in diameter, so there's lots of sapwood. For a hardwood, it turns really nice when it's fresh cut and hollowing was a breeze.

It's 5" x 3 3/4" with just a coat of antique oil.
    PICT0002.JPGPICT0001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

very nice Kathy, that one looks like a good one for pyro, maybe something along the lines of a lumberjack, john henry....he was a railroad guy....who was the lumberjack?

3. You should name that one "Saturn" because of the ring around it! That is a very nice form........I like it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice piece. The contrast goes well with the form. You are lucky to have the tree trimmer source from all the posts and scores.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice Kathy, that one looks like a good one for pyro, maybe something along the lines of a lumberjack, john henry....he was a railroad guy....who was the lumberjack?
    Paul Bunyan?
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Love the colors. I'm sure the trimmers will love it...
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Very nice and excellent gesture to help keep the source flowing your way!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Pretty pieces, I love the ring effect of the sap wood. Lucky trimmers.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Great vase--and unique shape as usual--is that logical? Any idea which acacia that might be--Mimosa maybe?

Wow I like this one Kathy. Really nice form and the wood is really cool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks everyone!

Charlie, after I came in the house and tried to wash the black off my hands, I thought maybe I should have done a little ebonizing. Maybe on the next one.

Robert, it's Acacia Stenophylla aka shoestring acacia, nearly as stable as mesquite, a little finer grain and cuts easier.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

after I came in the house and tried to wash the black off my hands,
    mesquite.....better have some lemon juice....espically when the temperature rises, and your hands start to sweat

The color and sapwood do look like some Mimosa given to me by tree trimmer about a month ago. Some was up to 20"D but only 14" long section, several 8 to 10" crotch sections, and other down to about 6"D. The sap did turn my hands black, but lemon juice works. Some of the rough turnings were sealed with Anchor Seal and some was packed in shavings in a paper bag which dried quickly with thinner turnings. I did find the Mimosa to be a coarse grain that wanted to tear easily without a sharp tool.

Thanks Cathy and by the way your tip about gesso worked well in hollow forms on the rough side inside. Found I could thin the stuff with water and pour in and out. Wonder if sheetrock spackling would work??